Re: Progress

Post by na79 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:45 pm
I then made a few replacement sections for the inner rear quarter panel.

Using the offcuts from the LWB sills I fabricated new side sections.

And then I cut a section from my old outer sill and used the curve of it to make the back section. It took a lot of effort to get the right shape using a lump hammer and a small vice, but in the end I got it pretty similar. Once cleaned up it should work fine. It has to be the most complicated bit of the van that I've had to make so far, and I'm pleased with how it's turning out. I'll finish it tomorrow and copy it for the other side.

Last edited by admin on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachments to image links

Post by na79 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:37 pm
Been mainly tidying up sections of the rear and fabricating new bits. Not sure what these sections are called, but you can see why they needed some attention!

This is an inner rear 1/4 panel section

and the NS back corner piece

and this is the tidied up corner support section

Last edited by admin on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by tctor68 » Subscribing Member » Tue May 26, 2015 4:48 pm
Hey Nick.
Whats up ?
No updates

Tor

Post by na79 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:13 pm
Hi Tor,

No chance at the moment due to me starting a new business. That's taking all my efforts at the mo, but I am still keeping an eye out for parts to help me finish the van.

I've managed to get NOS front and rear doors, a new outer sill and a side panel to help me. Also got a great double passenger seat. Currently on the look out for a set of adjustable driver's seat runners as mine are ruined! Also, trying to find a bunch of pieces for my exhaust so I can run a 4-2-1 set up to help out with my new carb set up.

Should be able to get some more days back in on it from July/August onwards.

How are you enjoying your van? I can't wait for the day I can drive mine!

Nick

Post by banterchicken » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:04 pm
Hows this going?

Just using some of your snaps for reference :D

Post by na79 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:38 pm
Hello mate,

Just had to put the project on hold over the summer to start a new business, was so sad to have to put it on hold earlier in the year but had to be done! I'm about a month away from getting stuck back into the van, woohoo! Then I can re build the back end and get it re-sprayed. It'll be a pretty sweet day when I get the mechanics back in and take it for a spin, but that's definitely not going to happen until next spring probably! Just got to be patient.

Glad the photos can be of help, I've got tons more that I haven't uploaded, so if there are any pieces that you want photos of let me know and I might have something useful.

Cheers, Nick

Post by tctor68 » Subscribing Member » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:23 pm
Good to here you'll be back in the grove again soon ;)

Makes for great reading and problem solving, as well as your fabricating skills :thumb:

Tor

Post by na79 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:41 pm
HEEEEEERRRREEEEEE'S JOHNNY! Ok, you got me, it's Nick.

So.........I bet you all thought I'd given up on the van, or been sectioned, or some other biz. The truth is it's been a year of really hard work setting up a new business for me and my friend. But I would never give up on the old beast, Some of the good stuff I'd previously done has some very minor residual surface rust, but it's survived the last 12 months outside pretty damn well.

TODAY......just over a year since I've done anything on the van....

There

Is

Actual

Progress!!!!!

I've spent the last week sorting out the workshop, figuring out what I was up to, and getting everything set up again. Managed to get a whole bunch done today, I was ever so slightly excited and did loads!

First, I rebuilt and welded in the battery tray.

Then I had a go on the inner sill

Last edited by admin on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:46 pm
I had previously repaired the suspension mount.

But then needed to create a home made press to remove and replace the suspension shackle bushes. I used my vice, a bunch of sockets, and plenty of fairy liquid!! It worked very well!

Last edited by admin on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:52 pm
I also had to manufacture another tool today.

I needed something so that when I rebuilt the back corner sections, the alignment of the floor surface, sills, etc, was correct.

It had to be accurate, in a 1970's engineering kinda way, I call it...

An old piece of wood previously painted black for something else. 4x1 to be precise.

It worked really well.

Last edited by admin on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Blogs”