Re: Progress

Post by na79 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:48 pm
P.S. I've been getting quite a few digs about how much I'm doing to it, the best one so far was likening it to Triggers Broom! If he's changed the handle 4 times and the head 6, is it still the same broom! Well, I'll have probably repaired and replaced 75% of the poor old vans bodywork, so who knows!

Post by na79 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:22 pm
Apart from the bonkers summer weather trying to make every piece of everything I've ever touched wetter than the north sea, van prevailed and I managed to tidy up the main wall section.

Last edited by admin on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachments to image links

Post by na79 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:26 pm
In between coats of paint and other bits I went about the task of fabricating the inner to outer sill arch fill pieces. I had a set of the front sections from my arch repair sections which I cut so I could hammer one flat to make a template. These were a bit complicated to get the various curves, and my first attempt was a bit out, but the second one worked out better.

Last edited by admin on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:31 pm
Next was quite a big day of putting together all the NS side sections. The sill and rear 1/4 sill, and a bunch of little fill pieces in the back corner and support sections. After a lot of re checking everything it finally came together and I tested the whole lump for alignment with the rest of the van. It took a lot of time but it's just about in the right spot. Here it is on the van.

I now have it removed again so I can tidy up all the welds from putting it together, and give it a final paint before welding it to the chassis tomorrow!
Last edited by admin on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:35 pm
Again, in between paint drying I also fabricated the rear arch fill section. I had an almost new one for the NS side, so all I need to do is tidy it up, but I had to replicate it for the OS. While test fitting the inner arch, and bashing it about a bit to fit, I also realised that it might need some further work!

Had to stop work as today as an epic downpour made it impossible to do anything else!
Last edited by admin on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:12 pm
Been working flat out on the van recently as I'm going to be moving it soon to a new place and wanted to get a good chunk more done before that happens. The new place won't have a roof so the poor van will have to live under a cover and hopefully survive the crappy English weather while I finish off the bodywork. The new place is right next to my work though so at least everything will be in the same place at last!

With a bit more adjustment I got the two arch fill sections to fit reasonably well. Some of the pieces I made for the rear of the van are slightly short but I think everything will be OK once the inner arches are in place.

Also got the rear light corner support in place and now the whole side is a lot more solid than it ever was before! I'm going to leave the inner arches out for the mo for access, and also because they need some more work on them.
Last edited by admin on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:21 pm
So here is the old/new reference pic!

I also tried the rear valance for size to make sure the dimensions were more or less correct, and spent ages trying to get the rear door pillar as upright as possible to maintain the correct gap for the doors top to bottom. It's slightly out but once the roof section goes on it'll be able to pull it in a little more without too much trouble so it's right. I notice that some CF's in pics have a funny door gap on one side that tapers top to bottom, and it looks like a factory error. but until I rebuild the OS and get the roof on I won't know for sure, or if I can improve it.

Once all that was out the way, it then came time to cut the other side off. The OS is worse than the NS and will need more repairs, more will need to be cut away. I'm getting a bit more used to working on the van now though, and should be able to get this side done quicker. This is the OS stripped down to almost the chassis, including a chunk of floor at the front and over the drivers seat belt lower mount.

Last edited by admin on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:27 pm
The floor around the drivers lower seat belt mount was terrible, including part of the cargo floor. I tried to grind it back to new metal but it was so rotten top and bottom I had to bite the bullet and cut a whole section away. This is how bad it was.

And this is how much I could get away with replacing.

I had some leftover sections from around my replacement wheel arch sections, and managed to cobble together a new piece for the cargo floor from six other smaller pieces. It was a proper frankenstein job, but turned out ok in the end. Also, fortunately, the seat belt mount bracket was in decent condition, so that survived. These are the replacement floor sections.

Last edited by admin on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:29 pm
Once they were sorted I then tidied up the remaining OS floor ready to rebuild.

And this is them welded in and tidied up

Last edited by admin on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm
The rear chassis leg for the suspension and rear corner had also taken quite an eating by the rust monster, and I had to make a new section for that also.

I had to replace half of one side and all the tabs at the end, but it is now strong again. The actually suspension shackle mount had survived on this side by some miracle, and was ok with a bit of a tidy up.

Last edited by admin on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Blogs”