Re: Progress

Post by na79 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:40 pm
The floor section around the inner arch was also a complete disaster, and incorporates openings for the petrol tank, so using a section from one of the replacement arches, and a couple of other bits, I made most of the forward section.

This is a comparison of the old and new, you can see just how rubbish the old bit was! The rear corner was really that bad, most of it was totally gone!

New section in.

Last edited by admin on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachments to image links

Post by na79 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:52 pm
Finally managed to get the OS floor sorted, and once in I welded in the inner sill.

Once that was solid, using my previously built sections and a new rear corner floor piece, I then rebuilt the rear OS corner. It was a real beast to try and get all of the OS floor sections to align nicely, and apart from a small drop in the floor around the petrol tank holes in the floor, the rest of it seems pretty straight. Only time will tell though!

Here is the rebuilt OS rear corner.

And here is the rebuilt OS floor.

Phew! So, the OS is now strong enough that I can replace the rear suspension shackle and put the wheels back on for transport to it's new home! I need to rebuild the OS wall quite a lot as it's mullered, but I probably won't be able to do anything to it for a while now, so it's just going to have to sit and be patient, and try not to get rained on too much, until I can get back to it.

I'm hoping that I can finish the bodywork this year, and then send it to get painted. If it works out I could hopefully get the electrics back in and get the bare basics of the van in place enough at some point early/mid next year so that it'll get an MOT, and then it will finally become more of a rolling project. I'm hoping I might be able to use it as a bit of a daily driver, and also camping for next summer too!!! (Although it'll probably literally be a mattress in the back with a pop top!!).
Last edited by admin on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:26 am
It's been a busy summer, and alongside everything else I had to move all my work stuff and all of the millions of bits of the van from the old workshop and yard where it's lived for a while, to some new garages. On the plus side it's now really close to my new work, so much easier to work on here and there. On the downside, it is now totally open to the elements, apart from a very worn Halfords car cover!

Once I'd sorted out everything from the move and got set up I started work on the right wall section. This needed quite a bit of work, almost every edge needed to be replaced. It has also rusted through behind one of the internal horizontal wall braces from the inside out, and so a 3 foot strip down the middle also needs replacement.

First off, using one of my old door skins, I fabricated a repair section for the rear door edge and rear door hinge mount points.

Then I used the arch section from the NOS wall panel I had as a replacement for my rusted one.

Then came the most complicated bit around the back lower corner

Last edited by admin on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachments to image links.

Post by Richie builder » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:18 pm
Hi
You have been doing a fantastic job . Hopefully as a fellow wood butcher I will be able to turn my hand to
Tackling my restoration . 1975 pop top camper, what was going to be a winter project but after striping the front end down and removing the windscreen my heart sank , but you have gave me hope
No luck with sourcing any front end parts yet tho . Can't wait to see your next post.
Rock on fella....

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:30 am
Yes your progressing very well, I don't know of many who would have the patience in talking such a restoration as you have good luck with it.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by na79 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:54 pm
Hey Richie, thanks fella!

Patience, as Dave said, has most definitely been the strongest tool in my kit. Unlike wood which I find can be adjusted and corrected with relative ease, metal can be a pain. I spend half my time planning how I'm going cut bits up and put them back together, as it's a lot harder to correct mistakes in sheet metal work!

Been doing my best to winter proof my van a bit as it no longer lives in a covered yard, and the weather is causing surface rust to spring up all over the place on the bits I've already done! Oh well, just another bit of motivation to get it sorted!

I finished off all the main repairs to the OS wall skin, including this big stripe in the middle that had rotted out due to water getting in internally behind the inner rib!

These are the old and new sections

This is the finished OS skin. I've had to repair so many pieces of it, and replace so many of the strong sections, that it has warped slightly, and so I've spent a lot of time trying to straighten it out. I've managed to get it pretty good, and once the strengthening pieces and other wall sections are welded back together it should be pretty straight. Nothing that a skim over with the filler won't sort out.

Last edited by admin on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:07 pm
After that beast of a task, the next thing to do was sort out the OS rear door pillar. I first thought I might be able to save chunks of it to re-use, but it ended up being rotten straight through in so many places it was not salvageable. It was still in one piece though and came in very handy as a template.

I had been collecting other parts from all over to cobble together a new one, and using a NOS NS rear door pillar, and a NOS OS front door pillar, these could be cut into useful sections and reformed.

After cutting the main flat section from the rear door pillar, I hammered the wide internal lip flat, and re-bent it in the opposite direction. This would help to give me the right curve for the rear wall. I broke the front door pillar into its separate parts, and then cut it into various useable parts.

Long story short, I had to get 10ish pieces of frankensteined metal to fit together, but after about a week, HE LIVES, and I now have a new rear door pillar. I just have to tidy up some of the welds internally, and it's good to go!

These are the basic components

In this one, all the components are back together, and you can see I had to cut the left curved section into 7 pieces to make it work! Also in comparison to the old one.

Here is the finished other side

Last edited by admin on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:30 pm
Christmas, work, and weather have all had a part in keeping me from continuing on this project. Between stuff I've managed to put in a few days here and there, and managed to get all the sections for the OS wall section finished and in primer. When I get a few days on the trot I can then weld them all together, and weather permitting get the whole OS side of the van back on!

Here are the sections of the wall ready to go:

The main wall

The outer sill

The rear quarter panel

Last edited by admin on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:31 pm
The rear door pillar

And the rear door pillar strengthening section

Last edited by admin on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by na79 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:18 pm
For the first time this year I managed to get most of the week to get some really good stuff done!

After welding all the sections together for the OS wall it was then a matter of getting it back on the van.

This side seems to fit on easier than the NS, and didn't need quite so much force to get it to the right place. I constantly tried the back doors in place to get it as good as I could without the roof on.

I realised that I was a bit hasty in welding all the support sections and side strengtheners on the NS, and it made sense to release them from the rear door pillars, so that I've got maximum play in the sections when I get the roof back on, so I can then adjust things it to make the back door shut gaps as good as pos. Then I can weld in all the side strengtheners and rear door post supports to make it all strong again.

I also realised that when I fabricated the OS rear door pillar, when I used the door skin to repair the wall skin around it, it had slightly twisted, so I will have to slit the skin about a foot long from the top to make it all sit right.
Last edited by admin on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Blogs”