Post Reply

Progress

Post by na79 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 am
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm
Posts: 153
Back in April I bought a CF Dormobile with the intention of doing it up. Unfortunately I'm a bit stubborn and although it was way more of a wreck than I first thought I've made it my mission to make it great again. I love everything about it and have a goal to have it back on the road next summer in great condition. I've taken loads of photos of the whole process and thought I'd show you guys a bit of what's been happening. This is when I first got it:

Image

Image
Last edited by admin on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachments to image links

Re: Progress

Post by na79 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:55 am
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm
Posts: 153
Once I'd got some real work out the way, I made progress and turned the interior into this little beauty!:

Image
Last edited by admin on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachment to image link

Re: Progress

Post by na79 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 am
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm
Posts: 153
After that I realised that pretty much every single piece of the van was a ruin and I almost gave up. In a last ditch attempt to squeeze some hope out of it I spent a couple of days cutting out the (butchered) electrics and getting power back to the engine to get it running. Amazing! Despite being a non runner for a fair few years, with a bit of love it fired up, and not just a spluttering ruin, it was smooth and ran well. At that point I thought it was an 1800! It also gave me fresh hope, it was like even though it was rusting to death it still wants to live!! So I started collecting parts over a period of about 4-5 months, and it went well, here are some of the first bits I found.

Image
Last edited by admin on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachment to image link

Re: Progress

Post by na79 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 am
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm
Posts: 153
Now this has happened, I've cut out all the rust I can find, right back to the chassis and am slowly fabricating repair sections that I don't have spares for.

Image

Image

This is the wheel arch, I still need to make a repair section for the whole in the middle where it meets the inner floor section (which also needs repairs!), and I'll fabricate a new lip for the arch edge to join to the wing and arch rocker.

Image
Last edited by admin on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachments to image links

Re: Progress

Post by tctor68 » Subscribing Member » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:31 pm
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:37 am
Posts: 306
Looks quite a good solid one to start with.

Half the fun is collecting bits and restoring, aswell as useing it.

Whats the plans with it,
back to stock with original lemon yellow from your inside photo
or something funky [custom colour].

Image
Image
Image

Makes a good read, keep up the good work

Tor

Re: Progress

Post by raewaters » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:53 pm
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:08 pm
Posts: 121
My word, you have been a busy boy! You seem to have all the right bits to do a nice restoration and by the standard of work that you've already shown I believe you will have a very tidy van. Hopefully you'll have no issues with the roof gutter and round the front windscreen as this tends to be quite a common fault.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Rae
Last edited by raewaters on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Progress

Post by na79 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:42 pm
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm
Posts: 153
Hey Tor, it's going to be Porsche mint green!! I plan to de-bumper it and I've managed to get hold of some original slot mags for it. I really like the shape of it looking clean and don't want to add any bodywork or trim, and I'll keep the roof all white and the chrome bits chrome. Also plan to re-build the interior in a very similar layout, but from birch ply, and maybe some orangey brown chunky knit upholstery!

Re: Progress

Post by na79 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 pm
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm
Posts: 153
Hey Rea, I've managed to get a new gutter section cut from a similar camper in VGC, and also a windscreen surround from another one! But those jobs are for the future! Mine are totally knackered, as is the floor, sills, rear 1/4's, rear valance, rear arches, etc...........

Re: Progress

Post by raewaters » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:06 pm
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:08 pm
Posts: 121
You've certainly got your work cut out (sorry about the pun), you might find your door pillars from the windscreen downwards are going to be in pretty bad condition as well as this seems to be quite common if you have a rusty area round the front windscreen. When you describe your problems they seem to be so common with many vans and that's why I opted for the Landcruiser as the floor is made of plywood and the rest of it is made from fibreglass on a steel frame. You mentioned you had slots, mine are 7J and they have quite a nice concave, I notice some of the slimmer ones seem to lose that shape so I just wondered what size you had.

Rae
Last edited by raewaters on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Progress

Post by na79 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:54 pm
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm
Posts: 153
Door pillars in progress as we speak! Recycled out of an old front valance!

Image

Image

Image

My slots are big, I think 7 x 15's for the front and 8 x 15's for the rear!
Last edited by admin on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change attachments to image links

Post Reply

Return to “Blogs”