Re: valves , time to sort them out .

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:28 pm
mot fail , mainly brake related 44% front and a 74% rear
working on the front at the moment to find the problem , offside front lining and drum slightly greasy but the piston had some issues with a cracked securing hole split and the bolt and the other bolt was very loose Image
one of the brakepipe fittings had a very slight weep .

awaiting a new cylinder from Brakes International , Rochdale . :thumb:

John

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:32 pm
The dreaded MOT ordeal , passed after some issues with the brakes , finally scraped through , still some work still to do , also a shed load of advisories mainly rubber related front suspension bits ,

track rod end ball joint has slight play (nearside)
track rod end ball joint dust covers worn (nearside)
suspension arm upper and lower bushes deteriorated nearside and offside
oil leak on engine
water leak from a core plug
some corrosion on footwell (nearside) and front cab outrigger ,

so some jobs to keep me busy over the winter and a shopping list for suspension bushes :thumb:

John

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:54 pm
some issues raising their heads , mainly hard to start so suspect closing ex haust valves , no.3 particularly badly causing even poorer restarting when the engines hot , the knock on from this is that the starter motors playing up with I suspect worn bushes caused by long bursts on the starter plus the battery is not fully charging since the last spell of icy weather .

John

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:11 am
John beware when using your starter for long period it not only burns down the brushes but can lead to the solder melting on the armature like mine did, have you done a compression test lately?might be a good idea,as for the list of advisories I got the same every year where the rubbers were defected but no play in the joints
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:03 pm
Hi Dave

the engine runs lumpy and a B****** to start , even worse when hot , compression is ok except on 3 pot , tried adjusting the exhaust valve but it was at its limit , Phil came down a year ago and sorted out all the valves and put in an oversize camhousing gasket , but I can't remember what size adjuster screw was in the third exhaust valve .
The front suspension rubber bushes seem ok with no play but are hardened and cracked at the edges , this was pointed out at the previous two mot's , so it's to do job that can wait for better weather ,
so I'll take a look at the starter motor and put in some new bushes , Phil has some in stock ,which seems the least expensive route to start with . then look at the valves in no.3 pot.

cheers in the New Year

John

Return to “Blogs”