5 speed gearbox

Post by Cobb123 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:34 pm
I have owned the Bedford for 3 years I have just found the fifth gear the gear knob says 4 speed when I went to Cornwall I've got stuck down the hill I had to get AA to tow Me Up the hill this new girl that I found helped me up the hill is it a hill assist Gear

Re: 5 speed gearbox

Post by alfs » Subscribing Member » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:22 pm
Hi I am no expert ,but you may have a ZF gearbox in which case the gear position which is normally first gear is in fact reverse and first gear is where most gearboxes have second. If this is so then you have probably been starting off in second gear.
There are far more people on this forum far more knowlegable about gearboxes than me .

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:06 pm
Cobb123 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:34 pm
I have owned the Bedford for 3 years I have just found the fifth gear the gear knob says 4 speed when I went to Cornwall I've got stuck down the hill I had to get AA to tow Me Up the hill this new girl that I found helped me up the hill is it a hill assist Gear
They always say you learn something new every day, It’s taken you 3 years to find out you have a five speed box think of all the extra fuel you have used at least you’ve found out now.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by Cobb123 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:51 pm
What you're saying is that I'm pulling off in second gear but surely won't it struggle pulling off in second gear it pulls off fine so I found the steepest hill that I could and put it in the gear that I found and he shot up the hill like it wasn't here there you may be right
Another thing Gm diesels don't like cold weather I know you shouldn't but I give it a little sniff of easy Start works a dream

Post by alfs » Subscribing Member » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:43 am
if you look closely at your ashtray ,if fitted, I think the original factory 5 speed gearbox vehicles have the gear positions on the left side of the ashtray front

Return to “Chat”