I may be purchasing a CF 4x4 is this going to cause me pain? :)

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:04 am
Hi all, long time no see etc etc...
I could quite possibly be purchasing a CF 4x4, I'm at the initial inquiry stage at the moment and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look for and what pitfalls surround this model.
The bodywork of the van is a bit suspect in places but it's all do-able, my main concern is the 4x4 system, basically how available are replacement parts, or the means to renovate existing parts? Are they reliable 4x4 systems? The van I'm looking at has the front prop disconnected, the vendor says this was how he got it and has no idea why, are the front axles or 4x4 coupling prone to failure and is disconnection of the front axle a common thing to do if the components do fail?
Any help is much appreciated... It'll be good to own a CF again, I just want to make sure I don't buy too much pain for myself... If these 4x4 vans are really too much trouble I will look for a different model.
cheers

Re: I may be purchasing a CF 4x4 is this going to cause me pain? :)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:54 am
Rarity of parts specific to the 4x4 transmission (including front suspension) may be a problem. Also, I've not found any information on repair procedures (which doesn't mean than none exists - if any turns up then it will appear in the Reference Library ASAP).
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:20 am
I been researching the FF system as much as I can, it seems a similar system to that which was fitted to early Jensens, is this correct?
From what the Jensen site says the system is fairly bulletproof as it is a bit 'agricultural' and therefore very solid in it's design. Am I right in assuming these FF vans were all drum front brakes? If so would the wheel cylinders differ much from 'normal' CF cylinders? And I assume no disc carrier front hubs exist for the FF CF? Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to have some idea of the pitfalls I'm likely to encounter before buying this van :)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:17 pm
The conversion by FF was post-factory if I remember correctly, which could explain lack of GM parts etc. information for the 4WD bits.

Brakes (CF2 models).
CF230, 250: disc front, drum rear.
CF280, 350, 350L: drum front and rear.
I've not found any notes in GM brake parts information to indicate any differences otherwise.

A bit more information is in the CF2 4WD brochure.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:02 am
That link comes up with the right page but all the images are just showing as broken links :(

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:14 am
Photobucket appears to broken.

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:48 am
What? Again? I removed all my stuff off there years ago because it decided to block everything if you didn't pay their new fees. I moved on to 'Imgur' after that and alll seems to be ok so far. There is a chrome extension that gets around the photobucket block, but it arrived on the scene after I had removed all my images from the site. Maybe that will help....or if you have that workaround in place already then maybe photobucket have found a way to block it. I dunno... bloody internet :D

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:01 am
Photobucket was down for everyone apparently; seems to be working now.

So far I've not been hit for fees. If they do try (or screw up big time) then I just move - everything is backed up elsewhere.

Post by lord13 » Subscribing Member » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:12 pm
Well... the 4x4 purchase was shelved as it would have cost me almost as much to transport it to my house as it would have to buy it, and although it was tempting, something else came up nearer to me and for a bit less money also, I will start a blog on it in the relevant section soon.

If anyone is interested in a LWB 4x4 minibus that needs quite a bit of work let me know and I'll point you in the direction of the seller.

Return to “Chat”