Re: What even IS my Bedford?

Post by Hildergard » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:04 pm
I’d quite like something that explains the battery set up so I can work out what the previous owners have done to it. There’s a switch by the batteries with a red ‘key’that does something to switch between the two of them. I don’t know why that’s necessary. I thought the zig worked as a relay..

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:53 pm
Sounds like a battery isolator has been fitted -

This or similar can be used to link together the starting battery and leisure battery either for charging both when the engine is running, or for drawing power from the starting battery to run the habitation electrical systems, or for boost starting if the starting battery voltage is low and the leisure battery is fully charged.

Zig unit with a charger built in (e.g. CF9) is designed for using mains hook-up to maintain the leisure battery at about 14V (no load) and supplement the battery during night time use.

For charging both batteries when the engine is running a split charge relay should be used, either a Lucas 33RA type or a voltage sensing type.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:49 am
Like Phil says it's probably an isolater I fitted one to my Advantura it's handy if you need to jump start the vehicle also handy if the split chargeping system fails, just a turn on the switch and you can charge your least rent battery or jump start the vehicle.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by Hildergard » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:33 am
Thanks both. Any idea how I can find out which way to turn it? I’m assuming that if it’s designed to isolate the starter battery the van won’t start if it’s turned the ‘right’ way...

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:19 pm
Turning the key clockwise usually switches the isolator on, possibly against spring pressure as the key is turned.

How the isolator functions will depend on where it is connected, i.e. between the two batteries or just to one battery cable.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Hildergard » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 am
Thank you. I’ll check that out this afternoon.

Return to “Chat”