falling oil pressure

Post by Grimble » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:41 pm
hi there
can i do anything or is it as i suspect the beginning of the end?
whenever i start my 2.3 the oil pressure can take a long time to build up and is becoming more frequent an occurrence.
such a shame as the engine other than this is in fantastic condition :|

Re: falling oil pressure

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 pm
When was the engine oil last changed?
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Grimble » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:27 pm
Hi Phil
The oil is quite fresh and good quality stuff.
I change the oil every six months or so as it gets used most weeks. Managed over 6000 miles in it last year! Has been very reliable with only one major breakdown when the propshaft uj let go. My fault, didn't have time to change it before we set off on holiday.
I can see this oil pressure issue being somewhat fatal though. When the engine is hot it runs at about 25psi and 90 degreese at say 50mph. Feeling it should be a little higher than that. Crank bearings all sound ok for now and the valve clearences are good. It's been a really good strong engine so far....

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:14 pm
could you put another oilpump in , not sure if they can be pressure tested,

Post by philbut » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:10 pm
Could the sender be duff? could be a faulty reading if all else seems good. the electric senders do have a finite lifetime.

25psi does sound a bit low at 50mph.

Post by Grimble » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:37 pm
philbut wrote:Could the sender be duff? could be a faulty reading if all else seems good. the electric senders do have a finite lifetime.

hi thanks for your reply.
i have an oil pressure gauge fitted as well as the light so i know thats reliable.
it definitely has no oil pressure when it starts as you can hear the big end and mail bearings complaining. The weird part is that sometimes when i start it the pressure comes up straight away with no delay.
tah

Post by Grimble » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:43 pm
philbut wrote:Could the sender be duff? could be a faulty reading if all else seems good. the electric senders do have a finite lifetime.

i might just try another pump if i can find one. i'm guessing that a new one is out of the question????
i think that there is a tiny hole or leak somewhere on the delivery to the pump or perhaps the pickup itself inside the sump. looking at a diagram of the 2.3 engine the oil has a very long way to go from the sump before it reaches the pump and if there was a hole in this part the pump might be tempted to pull air rather than thick oil.
another pump is the easier option as i think the engine would need to be removed to get into the sump and have a look :wall:
Anyone got a good pump to lend or sell?
tah

Post by Grimble » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:49 pm
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) Fixed it. Bought a new oil filter made by Fram. no issues now. cant believe that the old filter was that crap. only been on there six months. CHECK YOUR FILTERS PEOPLE!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:44 pm
By-pass valve will open if the oil filter is choked or faulty but the relatively small valve opening presents a restriction to oil flow, hence the drop in oil pressure.

PH977A high capacity oil filter can be used in place of PH966B to extend filter change interval and also aid oil cooling but see how long you get from the new filter you've fitted: high capacity filter only works out economic for higher annual mileages (10k and more, give or take).
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Grimble » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:52 pm
Thank you very much for that info Phil i will order a few of those high capacity filters. i wondered if such a thing existed for CF's as i use them on my other classics with good results
cheers :)

Return to “Chat”