CF1: round front turn signal (indicator) lamps below front bumper

Reverse light switch 71 cf automatic

Post by ivangardiner » Subscribing Member » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:35 am
I see in the Haynes manual that there is a dual microswitch at the base of the selector lever, but when I look at my selector system there is only the one switch i.e. the starting inhibitor switch. My van has reverse lights but they have to be switched on manually and they work only if the park lights are on. Not very convenient or even safe. I want to fit a reversing camera so need the automatic reverse switch. Does anyone know an easy way to sort this out, perhaps parts from some other Vauxhall vehicle? I see a complete shift lever for sale locally but it looks quite different - maybe from a CF2. Not sure if it will be interchangeable. Any advice appreciated.

Re: Reverse light switch 71 cf automatic

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:04 pm
Check the shift lever switches plate under the plastic console -

The plate that carries the starter inhibit switch should have holes for a reverse lamps switch.

Reverse lamps switch is identical to the starter inhibit switch.

Generic button type micro-switch with rating of 5 Amp at 12V usually will do the job.

For a 1971 CF the feed for reverse lamps should be from the ignition supply fuse (green wires at bullet connector) rather than the lighting fuse (red wires).
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by ivangardiner » Subscribing Member » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:09 am
Thanks Phil but my unit is quite a bit different. See picture

Hope the picture got through!
The Haynes manual (page 123) shows a similar arrangement but with two switches, one on top of the other. Easy enough to do that, but the cam thing attached to the lever must be different to operate the second switch. What I'm looking for is that cam thing with the extra cam pip.
I'll keep looking here (in NZ).

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:47 am
I've not seen one of those for a long time!

Haynes illustration is from TS1052 1971 for the GM 3-speed automatic transmission which is of general application -

'Remove selector lever console from floor to gain access to switch. With selector lever in 'P' (park) adjust position of switch so that upper roller (1) is depressed by crest of rear cam (2). This closes the starter circuit contacts in the switch.
Check that starter will not operate when 'D', 'I', 'L' or 'R' is selected.
On some vehicles a combined starter inhibitor and reverse lamps switch is used.'

The illustration isn't for the CF: HBoL - Haynes Book of Lies...

According to the GM Parts Catalogue there's only the one switch cam and bracket for earlier models (to Chassis No. GY601426) and apparently they're for both inhibit and reverse requiring two switches. The illustration shows only the one switch though and wiring harness to suit that and the console lamp (two wires short for reverse).

Hmm. Vauxhall documentation can be a bit misleading too - ever so many corrections of errors and omissions over the years. (Haynes missed a number. Lots come to think of it.)

I can't remember whether the CF switch cam is any different to the cam for car models (FD series Victor); it should come off though so a DiY conversion could be practicable if a later shift assembly can't be found.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by ivangardiner » Subscribing Member » Thu May 02, 2019 4:31 am
Thanks for the further info. I have now bought locally a complete shifter unit matching the first diagram you posted, for the princely sum of $NZ70 (about 35 pounds) plus freight. So that should solve the problem. It does seem that the older arrangement was much more simple and direct, but on the other hand I find that it is possible to start the engine in gear if the lever is not quite in the right place, and this despite several attempts by others to adjust this out. So I'm hoping that the "latest, up-to-date" technology will fix this :-)

Post by ivangardiner » Subscribing Member » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:05 am
Well, what I need now is a pair of nice new microswitches. Have looked on line and visited a local electronics store, plus a couple of other places, and they have similar switches but not with the little roller on the end of the arm. Looking on line , the closest I could find was the switch for Jaguar XJ6 etc. Any ideas on what other vehicle may use the same switch?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:32 am
For microswitches try Omron V-155 series.

V-155-1C5: short hinge roller, 6.35mm wide 'quick connect' blade terminals.

V-155-1C25 for 4.75mm wide blade terminals.

Datasheet is here

V-155-1C25 -

PT = 1.6mm max.
OP = 20.7±0.6mm
Terminal t = 0.8mm for V-155-1C5

Return to “Switches, lighting and signal systems - early models”