Facelift, CF2 models: rocker switches in panel to one side of inset dash panel.

Adding a after market temp gauge

Post by adzanator » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:00 pm
Hi Everyone,

Was not sure whether to post in the old or later models. I have a 1973 CF with one of the last CF2 Opel 2.3d engines fitted in my van. Unfortunatly the person who did it was a joke, so nothing works dash wise. I still have the original instrument panel by the way, spedo doesnt work, temp gauge increases then shoots off the scale although engine is not overheating, fuel gauge just shows empty.

I am not really bothered by the rest of the stuff the only one that worrys me is the temp gauge. Would it be possible to fit a third party temp gauge to give me an accurate engine temp reading? If so which ones would be good? does it connect to the original sender or does it require a new sender tapped in somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Re: Adding a after market temp gauge

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:13 am
If you use a CF2 temperature gauge with either a 7995936 voltage stabiliser or a 10V linear regulator, e.g. L7810CV, then the gauge should work with the original temperature sender if it is the later GM 23D.

CF2 gauges, 7995936 stabiliser converted to solid state using L7810CV regulator or regulator pre-wired to use as is are available via the Parts Department Front counter. :thumb:

CF2 fuel gauge won't work with a CF1 tank unit because the resistance ranges are markedly different.

If the wiring to the tank and the earth link from one of the tank unit screws to a crossmember are ok then remove the tank unit to check it.

Resistance between the terminal and the unit body should be in the range 1 to 30 Ohm when the float arm is moved through its complete arc of travel.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by adzanator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:37 pm
So I can't just buy a third party one and bypass existing wiring as the wiring is a mess in the van?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 pm
There's nothing to stop you from using a third party gauge but I've no idea which one would be suitable.

(CF2 gauge that should work with the sender unit on the later GM 23D engine is 2 inch diameter nominal.)
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Instruments, warning lamps - later models”