Dual Battery Isolator

Post by TriciaS » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:30 pm
Hello,
Just thought I would post some pics of our set up so people can see how it is not meant to be ha ha.
Any ideas on where things should be welcomed.
The wires on middle terminal are all soldered together

hope I got the picture bit right this time.
Last edited by admin on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix Photobucket links. :-)

Re: Dual Battery Isolator

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:31 am
Erk.

All the wires taken to one terminal on the isolator and the 30 Amp relay (black) with thick brown wires to it suggest that the relay may be a bodge to overcome a faulty isolator. Smaller relay may be for the 'fridge.

I haven't got a clue what the fusebox is for. Ideally the habitation wiring should be fused after the leisure battery, i.e. in the back somewhere, not under the bonnet. The original van wiring normally doesn't need more than the 12-way fusebox under the dash anyway.

Seems to me that whoever installed that lot hadn't heard of KISS ...

My first reaction is to suggest removing anything that's not factory fit (isolator, Durite fuse box, relays, ammeters and switches panel), reinstate the original CF alternator-starter-dash wiring and start again with a split charge relay mounted near the main battery and well away from damp conditions.

Monitoring of battery charge rate would be worth a re-think, maybe go for a voltmeter rather than ammeters so that junctions (i.e. potential failure points) in the charging circuit are kept to a minimum.

Otherwise you could be in for a lot of head scratching just to make sense of what's there even before figuring out what needs mending or replacing. :(
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Charging system”