CF280 battery bay questions

Post by Smellfire » Subscribing Member » Sun May 20, 2018 7:56 pm

My battery is currently in a knackered battery box in one of the seat compartments in rear of the camper. The battery bay is huge and dwarfs the current battery. I have a leisure battery under the passenger front seat. I wondered about swapping the two.

Never having owned any type of van besides work owned ones, are there reasons not to do this? Would mean I could have a bigger leisure battery or two small in tandem.

Re: CF280 battery bay questions

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun May 20, 2018 10:32 pm
Batteries can go anywhere that they will fit as long as -

a) heavy current cables are sufficient for expected loads and are kept as short as is possible.

b) provision is made to vent battery gases outside the van (easiest with 'sealed' batteries - Google search images 'battery gas vent').

c) position is kept close to or below floor level, especially for larger and heavier batteries.

d) batteries are secured against movement (to protect plates from vibration damage as well as prevent short circuit, e.g. during a collision).

For (a) feel free to ask about optimum cable sizes/lengths once you have figured out where things are to live and what is being powered by each battery. :thumb:
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Charging system”