bedford cf diesel - alternator probs

Post by AndyT1960 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:01 pm
Hi All
I have recently purchased a 1984 cf and am having alternator problems. The previous owners appear to have had a recon fitted and altered/disturbed wiring. Does anyone out there have a picture of a correctly wired/fitted alternator which they could send to me and then I can forward to the garage fixing my cf? I can be reached at [email protected] - please help if you can we want to get out there and enjoy our motorhome.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy T

Re: bedford cf diesel - alternator probs

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:35 pm
The original alternator wiring should be simple -

Thick brown wire from (+) output terminal to starter motor solenoid, battery cable terminal. In some cases, e.g. higher output alternator fitted, two thick brown wires are used if an alternator has more than one output terminal, both wires connected together at the starter solenoid.

Thin brown+yellow wire for the warning lamp to the (IND) terminal.

Thick black wire from a casing stud or riveted blade terminal which may or may not be marked (-) to one of the mounting bracket to cylinder block bolts using an eyelet terminal. This wire may be absent: best to reinstate it if so because the alternator mounting bushes act as electrical insulators.

If there are any other wires connected to the alternator or its wiring then it should be possible to disconnect all of them (and insulate bare wires/terminals in case any are 'live') to check the original wiring and alternator performance.

If re-connecting any additional wires causes problems then it may be necessary to trace where they go to, e.g. wire from a split charge relay connected to the brown+yellow wire, then rectify any faults found.

Wiring diagrams in colour are available via the Reference Library in the Subscribing Members area but only up to 1984 production year.
CF2 (1984-87) diagrams suite still needs to be completed but that may be some time in happening being a winter indoors job ... but if you can post photos of the offending alternator and its wiring then it should be possible to figure out what's going on. :)
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Charging system”