Replace alternator belt

Post by Tigor » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:16 pm
Yes yes, here comes one of our millions of questions again, isn't it wonderful being a newbie :roll: (and Phil, sorry if I have put this in the wrong topic..)

Trying to put on the new alternator belt but realize that it is tight (as it should be because it is new, as far as I have understood it). But, that means it is extremely difficult to get it over the "track" on the alternator (so that the alternator spins). I have heard that you can use a screwdriver to push it over, I'm just a bit afraid of how hard I can actually go on it. Have also tried to find instructions on youtube but they all show cars where you can slacken some part on the way as to get the belt on, and then tighten it (I should say also that in our case, just slacken the alternator screw to its maximum (the same as when you tighten the belt, but reverse. ehh..) isn't enough. We still can't get the belt over). (I also found an instruction video of how to change the belt on a VW, but that is with the engine running and seems slightly over our league right now ;) ) So, how do you do? If the screwdriver is the answer I just need a bit of reassurance that it is alright to use force in the process.

Re: Replace alternator belt

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:44 pm
The trick with fitting a tight alternator belt is to fit the belt over the largest pulley last and, for the last bit, turn the engine clockwise using a spanner on the crankshaft pulley bolt to drag the belt onto the pulley. Wetting the belt with clean water can help with fitting.

The GM diesel engine is a particular problem because the nearest available belt is 900mm circumference whereas the original belt is 917mm but is no longer available. However, once the 900mm belt is fitted there should be enough adjustment to tension the belt correctly.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Re: Replace alternator belt

Post by Tigor » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:49 pm
Wohoo! Will try that! :D

Return to “Charging system”