Re: Charging issue

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:23 am
Castellated ring nut for the armature shaft/pinion spring on the earlier M45G inertia starter is left hand thread and won't be metric, maybe a BSF oddity knowing Lucas.

Try Forge Services Ltd for FS64073 Shaft Nut for FS2687 Armature (about two thirds of the way down the page), equivalent to GM 7091482.
Not cheap: may be an incentive to find the original ring nut. :)
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Classicicecreams » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:56 pm
Just ordered the nut :( the old one is somewhere on the M4 hard shoulder by the brynglas tunnels lol

Post by Classicicecreams » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:09 am
Ok so nuts all on and starter is back on the van I've connected all the wires and now I have a very dull oil light on and no alternator light at all then turn the key and nothing :(

I've checked voltage and have 12.4 at battery solinoid and at the dash !!!!
Have I created a drain anywhere?? I had to stop after loosing the light but will disconnect the starter and check what power I have later

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 am
If the voltage to the dash drops whenever something is switched on then check battery condition (recharge as necessary) and all connections from the battery to the dash -

At the battery, including the earth.
Also check engine earth.

Battery cable and thick brown wire/s at the starter solenoid.

Thick brown wire/s at the bulkhead connector by the bonnet hinge, left side when viewed from under the bonnet (one brown wire if only 3 connector plugs).

For 2 line fuse wiring, battery junction bullet connector behind the dash (brown wires).
For 12-way fusebox, brown wires (battery supply in, ignition supply out) to fuse 1 and, or 2.

Ignition switch (thick brown wire, thick white wire).
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Classicicecreams » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:30 pm
I'm over the moon it's amazing what a bit of sunny weather does to productivity :)

10 mins in the dry under the van and I tightened up all the connectors a bit more and thought give that ago and she fired up straight away :)

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:50 pm
The trick now is to go back and properly fix the dodgy connection before the rains set in ... :)

Return to “Charging system”