Silly question about refilling coolant

Post by kennethmartin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:00 pm
Hi Phil

Today I am draining cooling system and refilling with 2 litres anti freeze added to the mix for winter protection.
Vehicle is cf facelift motorhome 2.3p 1982.
I have undone the clip and pulled the lower radiator hose at back of radiator.

Quite clean water flowed from back of engine and radiator which was no surprise as radiator hoses were changed in summer. The engine drain plug was seized on but it was flushed from
the front quite successfully.

I let the water fully drain from this hose i so presume the engine and radiator were both emptied.

I reconnected the lower radiator hose tightened up the clip and poured in 2 litres of blue antifreeze into the radiator then topped up with water.

I have run the engine for 15 mins fast idle but the lower radiator hose it not getting hot.

I have opened radiator cap and no gap to top up.

Am I going about this correctly? Have I missed something with the heater that needs topped up?
When engine running heater slide is to hot and heating fan is switçhed on.

I am a bit concerned to run engine for longer as I don't think there is any water in there and surprised thermostat has not opened already though it is quite cold today.

Any tips or reassurance would be very welcome to straighten me out!

:o)

Best wishes Kenny

Re: Silly question about refilling coolant

Post by kennethmartin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:36 pm
I let all the water out but it only took 2litres anti freeze and 1litre of water to refill to just under the neck. That don't sound right to me. I thought 9 litres was the capasity so was expecting to put a lot more water back in.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 pm
The cylinder block water jacket and heater circuit won't drain simply by removing the bottom radiator hose unless the thermostat has a 'jiggle pin' and then not all of the block will drain.

Trick to by-pass a seized block drain plug is to detach the top heater hose to admit air into the system when draining from the radiator bottom hose. Some coolant still will remain in the cylinder block but not so much to matter when replenishing anti-freeze.

After any drain-down the heater circuit will need venting to be sure of removing any air lock in the circuit. Fill the system via the radiator with the heater hose detached then follow the instructions in this topic.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by kennethmartin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:24 pm
Thanks a million Phil. I'll crack on with that in the morning.

Return to “Cooling system”