Rear E clip

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Subscribing Member » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 am
OK I Have some difficulty in trying to put the E clip on the rear brake cylinder.
The manual suggests a installation tool which I don't have.
Any tips to putting this clip on without distorting the clip.
Nigel Packer

Re: Rear E clip

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:04 pm
On single wheel hubs wedge the cylinder in place using a piece of wood between the cylinder and axle shaft flange; on twin wheel hubs a flat blade screwdriver between the cylinder and anchor bracket usually will do as a wedge.

Hold one end of the clip on the cylinder boss then work the rest of the clip over using a thin screwdriver (about 1/4" diameter).

Once the clip stays on the boss gently tap it into place so that all 3 lugs locate in the groove after which the clip can be centralised to clear the upper port in the cylinder.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Subscribing Member » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 am
Cheers mate I will give that a go :thumb:
Nigel Packer

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Subscribing Member » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:41 pm
Aint got round to it yet bet googling around as you do I came across this :)
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/eclip.htm
Might be worth a try !!
Nigel Packer

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:56 pm
Strictly speaking there should be a self-adhesive gasket between the cylinder and flange plate which helps secure the cylinder (likewise for front cylinders). Not many about that remember them...

One thing I forgot: the clip tends to sit better when fitted cupped side towards the flange plate and all 3 lugs have been tapped into the cylinder groove.

How the clip gets there shouldn't really matter as long as it isn't over-stretched in the process.
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Subscribing Member » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:55 am
Phil Bradshaw wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:56 pm

How the clip gets there shouldn't really matter as long as it isn't over-stretched in the process.
Yes that's the bit that concerns me ive buggerd one clip already they don't seem to be spring steel.
Nigel Packer

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:47 pm
Clips should be tough and springy but not as hard or brittle as conventional circlips.

A thought. If you're working on the brake with the van supported under the axle then try supporting under the chassis with the axle allowed to drop as far as it will for more room for getting two hands and eyeball mk 1 over the top of the flange plate.

Post by Packern Contact Packern » Subscribing Member » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 pm
Good idea I will give it a go :thumb:
Nigel Packer

Return to “Brakes”