reinstall 4 speed vauxhall gearbox in autosleeper

Post by cbritton » Subscribing Member » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:09 pm
Hi,
Just wondered if there is a trick to reinstalling a vauxhall gearbox in a poptop autosleeper as the watertank makes installation difficult. Do most remove watertank first ?

Thanks, Colin

Re: reinstall 4 speed vauxhall gearbox in autosleeper

Post by cbritton » Subscribing Member » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:07 pm
It's ok I've taken it out. Much better access but still quite difficult to do on your own I think.

Cheers, Colin

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:11 pm
If you're trying to remove the transmission with the clutch housing as an assembly then it will be harder than removing them separately: requires a 5/8-inch (16mm near enough) obstruction spenner to get at the two lower bolts securing the transmission to the clutch housing (clutch fork detached from linkage push rod for fiddle room).
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by Shambolic » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:28 pm
Phil Bradshaw wrote:If you're trying to remove the transmission with the clutch housing as an assembly then it will be harder than removing them separately: requires a 5/8-inch (16mm near enough) obstruction spenner to get at the two lower bolts securing the transmission to the clutch housing (clutch fork detached from linkage push rod for fiddle room).
I'm facing having to do a box swap very soon - If I'm reading this correctly, the box can be removed leaving the bellhousing attached to the engine then?

That sounds potentially easier (and lighter!).

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:45 pm
Removal of just the transmission sure is a lot easier and lighter to handle.

Trick for installation is to nip the release bearing against the diaphragm spring by winding up the adjustment until the bearing is held in place centralised with the clutch disc hub.

Second trick is to find a clean (i.e. shiny smooth) sleeve yoke to insert in the back of the transmission and then engage top gear so that turning the sleeve yoke will turn the input shaft so that it aligns with the splines in the clutch disc hub.

If the clutch disc hub is aligned with the spigot bearing in the back of the crankshaft (centralising tool, spare input shaft or mk1 eyeball through the back of the clutch housing if the clutch has been disturbed) then the transmission should near enough find its own way in. :)
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by cbritton » Subscribing Member » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:40 pm
Thanks for the tip Phil. I did wonder how I was going to get everything aligned.

Cheers, Colin

Return to “Manual transmission”