Re: heavy clanking noise when moving

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm
Gave the van a test run its first outing since the gearbox swap , really smooth and positive gear changing , quite happy with it , found a little patch of oil the next morning directly under the rear gearbox where the propshaft goes in so it looks like a new seal will be needed. Does the Club have these ? Or a know a company that can supply them .

Regards John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:47 pm
Bearing Kits for the seal, but they're closed until the end of the month.

Meanwhile you can try this.

Remove the propellor shaft and clean out the recess between the double lips of the seal.
Dry the recess as well as you can then generously fill it with LM (wheel bearing) grease.
Take care to avoid pushing grease past the seal so that the small oil return channel between the rear bush and housing isn't blocked up.
Polish the propellor shaft sleeve yoke using fine emery cloth then smear it with oil.
Throw it all together, top up the gearbox oil and see how you go.

When you do come to replace the seal and the old one has been removed make sure that the oil return channel between the rear bush and housing is clear (sometimes a blocked oil return channel can be the problem in keeping the seal flooded with excess oil).
Fill the recess between the lips of the new seal with grease before installing it.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:28 pm
Reference ... :shock: for anyone who hasnt seen what a mashed up cage bearing looks like here is one I did earlier Image

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:15 pm
12 months on from putting in a second hand gearbox , and a potential problem raising its ugly head , There appears to be a problem with third gear , I can change through the gears no problem but in third it's noisy not the usual third gear whine but still does the job .

John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:33 pm
Check/top up the transmission oil level first.

If the noise persists and is more grating than whining then the mainshaft spigot roller bearing may be breaking up.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:00 pm
Thanks Phil ,
Can the roller bearings be replaced in situ rather than dropping the Gearbox ? . The gearbox leaks from the rear seal , so I keep a good eye on oil levels , I'm due to go across to Whitby tomorrow 200 miles round trip minimum , I just hope it lasts out there and back , will have to the nifty fifty the gearchange (2nd to 4th) to keep as much wear off 3rd and hope for the best.

John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:12 pm
If the oil level is maintained and the noise ceases then a sound bearing should survive.

Greatest load on the bearing is in third gear so block changing 2 - 4 can help. However, all the intermediate gears including reverse rely on the roller bearing so staying in top gear as much as possible will further help.

Transmission has to come out to tear is apart for access to the roller bearing.
A good time to fix the rear seal leak ...

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:40 am
Just had a return journey to Whitby , was a bit apprehensive but the van ran ok , a run of around 250 miles over the Pennines twice , up a 1in5 at Blue Bank , the only bad mark was the throttle return spring (the curly whirley one) decided to part company with the carb in Leeds on the return leg , temporarily fixed with some elastic bands.
Have started to look for a replacement gearbox just in case , before this one gives up the ghost altogether.

John

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 pm
Hi John we were over Whitby from the 29th July and came back on the 8th August.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by G-blitz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:14 pm
Phil Bradshaw wrote: A picture for pointing at bits -

Item (6) is the caged needle roller that GM introduced to replace the original 25 single rollers with two thrust washers ... and then quietly reverted to the single needle rollers after umpteen caged bearings disintegrated and ruined many a mainshaft just like yours (the repairable one is representative of shafts running in 25 separate rollers).

(2) and (7) are the front and rear ball bearings that can sometimes suffer from a broken cage resulting in the balls congregating in clumps.
Hello,
Sorry my poor english, and I did not understand all that is written here, but I will try to explain my problem on my vauxhall 4 gear with overdrive gearbox.
My caged needle roller (item 6) has a plastic cage and the rollers are inclinated, not like the one described here. It does not roll good and transmits torque between main drive and mainshaft resulting in very poor synchronization (syncrho rings seem to be ok).
Now we search for a replacement needle roller but where to buy ?
Here there are all sold: https://bedford-ersatzteile.de/index.php?a=209
And after what Phil Bradshaw writes above, is it better to repace with the single needle rollers without cage ?
Any idea on how to fix this and where to buy a new roller ?
Best regards from Switzerland
Boris

Return to “Manual transmission”