Molylube in 1982 2.3 Petrol OHC, 4-speed Manual Transmission?

Post by Uphillandstill » Subscribing Member » Fri May 17, 2019 12:51 am
Second gear is a bit sticky/crunchy to get in to. I've been hearing about adding a little Molylube to the oil solving these types of issues since it's not extreme. I've also read not to use it in a synchromesh. Thoughts/experiences/ideas?
I haven't taken a look at gear oil levels or oil condition yet so I'll do that tomorrow and see where we're at. Is there a gear oil you'd swear by and highly recommend using, or have any top tips for checking/draining/refilling oil or adding(amount?)/staying away from Molylube?

If this has been covered, please direct me to the proper thread as I couldn't find it.

Cheers,

Jon

Re: Molylube in 1982 2.3 Petrol OHC, 4-speed Manual Transmission?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri May 17, 2019 9:58 am
No to Molylube: it will affect all synchromesh by making the cones slip instead of grab their respective gear cones. (The time for Molyslip products is during assembly, when AH40 anti-scuff paste applied to shafts and gears will be of benefit.)

If the gear shift lever is stiff to use then try greasing the rocker and shaft inside the turret -

Original oil specification is GL1 without EP additives but current GL4 oils should be fine; grade is SAE 90.

Unless an earlier bottom cover with drain plug has been fitted the only way to drain the oil is to remove the cover...
  • What is real is not the appearance but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Manual transmission”