Re: heavy clanking noise when moving

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:37 am
Rapid failure usually indicates incorrect assembly or lack of lubricant. Damage in your photos suggests both.

1. Rapid destruction of needle rollers leaving pieces caught in the input shaft bore usually occurs when rollers are dislodged during final assembly. Also can occur if the mainshaft spigot was not serviceable due to wear and should have been replaced or repaired, but not as quickly as within a few km.

2. Grease should not be used to stick rollers into position because it can block oilways for the bearing and may only melt away when damage already is done.

(I have managed both in my time, as well as getting the setting for the mainshaft rear bearing wrong which can cause problems at the front end. That was in the 1970s though when I didn't have a clue and spare gearboxes for my CA van were cheap ...)

The nose of the mainshaft spigot looks odd too -

There shouldn't be anything in the input shaft bore than can weld itself to the spigot; hardened rollers and thrust rings normally grind themselves to pieces and wear away the spigot and bore once they start breaking up.

Compare with spigot damaged by caged roller bearing failure (a) and serviceable spigot (B).

Your mainshaft might be fit for having a bearing sleeve shrunk on and ground to size if the spigot will grind clean for the sleeve. (Mainshaft (A) is past that limit.)

Thoroughly clean out the bore of the input shaft and closely examine the bearing race when it is dry; sometimes the race can remain undamaged.

PM or email Parts to talk about repairs.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Manual transmission”