Conversion to overdrive

Post by meiert » Subscribing Member » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:45 pm
Hi,
I am going to fit a Vauxhall 4 speed gearbox with Laycock overdrive to my CF1 short wheelbase van, originally only fitted with a 4 speed Vauxall gearbox. I will use the propshaft that came together with the overdrive unit, in order to retain its sliding joint and its front flange. It comes probably from a CF2, because of the similar center bearing, and while I will have to adjust its length, will the rear flange match the one of my CF250 Mk1? I can't check that myself because I bought it online and it is waiting for overhaul at D&F in Leeds. And how is the interface from the bearing to the chassis crossmember made on a CF2. Has anyone a picture or a drawing of the center bearing assembly?
Cheers,
Thierry

Re: Conversion to overdrive

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:25 pm
CF2 propellor shaft rear flange diameter depends on axle type, Bedford or Salisbury; either can be found on short wheelbase models.

Bedford axle has a 1-inch AF hexagon level/filler plug; Salisbury axle has a square head level/filler plug.

See this topic (page 6, 4th post down) for a CF2 propellor shaft in pieces (Bedford axle with ZF transmission in this case but the centre bearing assembly is the same).
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Return to “Propellor shaft”