Propshaft centre bearings.

Post by doujoy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:55 am
Hi Phil,

I am in need of a prop-shaft flexi coupling bearing at a cost of around £60.00 but I know I can get a Ford transit one with the same inside size of 30mm for £20.00, having had a good look at the one fitted to my Bedford it looks more like the Ford one than the Bedford one.
What is your thoughts on fitting the Ford version flexi-coupling?

doujoy

Re: Propshaft centre bearings.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:28 am
If you mean the centre bearing assembly (Layrub flexible coupling was used with Beford TK transmission to about 1974) then there is a Ford unit that will fit some CFs and also an Iveco unit that will fit CF2 SWB models.

The mounting has to be adapted for CF short wheelbase models, basically an angle bracket bolted to the crossmember to obtain optimum height and fore-aft position.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by doujoy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:37 pm
Hi Phil,

As I think I mentioned the one fitted to my campervan looks like a Ford one which has an angled top plate, just thought you might be able to confirm my suspicions,
thank you for that.

doujoy

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:47 pm
Short (106 inch) wheelbase CFs have a flat face mounting to the back of a crossmember.

Long (126 inch or more) wheelbase CFs have an angled support bracket welded to a crossmember.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by doujoy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:25 pm
Hi Phil,

When I bought my old Bedford it had been messed about with and the centre prop bearing was fitted too high so the short part of the prop came out of the gearbox tail-shaft and went up to meet the bearing, so by adding a piece of two inch square section steel I was able to drop the bearing down level with the tail-shaft.
This was what had caused a lot of noise and had destroyed CV type pot joint at the diff because of the angle it had been running at.

doujoy

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:57 pm
CV joint at the rear is for short wheelbase petrol engine models so you may have a clan Bodger 'fix' to remedy by the sound of it.

Iveco unit that fits CF2 models has a 40mm bore bearing so you're stuck with fitting an angle bracket for a 30mm bore Transit unit or finding an original CF unit to bolt straight onto the crossmember.

Post by doujoy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:40 pm
Hi to all,

I have now got and fitted the Ford Transit prop-shaft centre bearing to my prop-shaft and apart from making up a mounting plate because a difference in the hole spacing it will fit perfectly and do the job for a much lesser out lay of money.
The Bedford bearing was on offer on e-bay for just on £60.00 plus carriage of £8.00
but after shopping around on e-bay I bought the Ford one for £11.00 including carriage.
Got to be worth cutting and drilling a piece of angle steel and couple of new bolts with ny-lock nuts.

doujoy

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:45 am
Glad to see you've sorted it Doug.
Dave :D
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by doujoy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:29 pm
Hi to all,

On comparison of the two centre bearings I find that the one already fitted to my Bedford is indeed a Ford transit type bearing so this one will be a straight forward bolt into place replacement.
Comparing it to the replacement one being sold on e-bay as a Bedford part the Ford bearing is of a much more robust design, I would happily recommend it to anyone looking for a replacement prop-shaft centre bearing.

doujoy

Return to “Propellor shaft”