Propellor Shaft Vibration

Post by pdransfield » Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 am
Hi Phil
I am from New Zealand and my Partner has a CF Bedford LWB Jumbo Camper Single rear wheel CF280 with 173ci Holden 6 Cylinder with a Trimatic Auto, with Two piece Drive Shaft (Propellor Shaft). I am Having some trouble with it and would like some advice.
Here is the History.
Bought it with a Stuffed Centre Bearing which I replaced and checked all U joints and re- greased the ones with Nipples.
Drove oK for a While but on Long Trip Developed a Noise from Front U joint which was unable to Grease. So I ended up removing and replacing all 3 U joints and repainting Drive shaft etc. Now I have Bad Low speed Vibration on Acceleration that even starts to get the Centre Bearing Banging in its rubber mount. Once up to speed and constant speed also Vibrates through the body enough to be Felt through seat.
I have removed Shaft again and checked all Joints are ok and in Phase. I do have some sideways angle on the Joints as this was how it was after the Conversion. But was ok with old Joints in same place so seems strange if this would be it. I am considering moving centre bearing sideways to try and get less angle on the Joint as running out of Ideas.
Please help with a fresh mind.
Regards Phil Dransfield.

Re: Propellor Shaft Vibration

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon May 18, 2015 1:50 am
Front section of the shaft should run nearly straight both horizontally and vertically.

On long wheelbase models except with Vauxhall OHC engine the centre bearing mounting should be in position B for chassis cab models, position D for panel van models -

If any of the universal joints have stiffened up any (which they tend to do on long wheelbase models) then they can be freed off by walloping the yokes with a rubber mallet (shaft removed).

Other possibilities -

Rear tyres - bubble in tread or detached tread through to casing failure causing out-of-round profile. Jack up each wheel so that any bubbles/distortion will show up better when the wheel is rotated on the van.

Insecure rear wheel/s: rust staining around wheel nuts can be an indication even if the nuts seem tight (i.e. nuts seized on the wheel bolts).

Soft, loose or torn engine or transmission rubber mounting/s.

Rear axle insecure on suspension springs. On Salisbury axle with single taper leaf springs check for gaps fore and aft between springs and axle seats.

Failing rear hub bearing - common to feel this through the front seats oddly enough. May or may not cause brake drag depending on adjustment of rear brakes. Low speed noises will increase on turns opposite to a worn bearing, i.e. on right turns when left side bearing worn. Damage such as a disintegrated ball cage may not be obvious until the half shafts are drawn from the axle.

Rear axle pinion flange loose (usually with oil leakage).

Damaged final drive pinion or crownwheel teeth or bearings. Much clanging and banging or moaning and groaning to be expected though.

Excessive wear of transmission extension housing rear bush but usually there's loss of transmission fluid as well as problems with governor-controlled upshifts and downshifts.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Re: Propellor Shaft Vibration

Post by woz » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:42 am
I carnt get anywhere near phil's Jedi style knowledge but what I can say is in my day job preping cars for the press to drive, a prop shaft vibration was quick fixed with a "hose clip" in the trail and error style crude I know but well cheap :shock:

Return to “Propellor shaft”