something missing

Post by camper55 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:34 pm
hi all
is there some sort of boot missing on end of propshaft filled with grease? Is there a dodge that anybody's done or a replacement? many thanks

Re: something missing

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:36 pm
The CVJ (constant velocity joint) at the rear of the propellor shaft on petrol SWB models is a 'plunge' joint that is similar to the CVJ on diesel models -

A 'stretch' drive shaft boot (e.g. Renault Clio) can be made to fit over the pressed steel shroud but may not last long at propellor shaft rpm about 5 times that of drive shafts.

Ideally the shroud should be removed and then re-secured over a replacement boot to limit how far the boot can bellow outwards at higher rpm but removing a shroud so that it can be re-used isn't easy, or at all successful most times.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by camper55 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 am
thanks Phil
sounds painful. For a quick fix what about a rubber inner tube stretched over!? should it be filled with grease?

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:23 am
Joint should be packed about half full with CVJ grease.

Rubber inner tube is an interesting fix to try.
If it works then other members with a similar problem may be interested in how to go about it. :)
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by doujoy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:37 am
Hi to all,

This is a problem I found on my CF when I bought it six years ago and after using CV replacement boots and finding that they just ripped apart and lost all the grease I decided to use a hard rubber end off of a thick CV boot used on a tractor power drive and a plastic cover around the joint held on with cable tie, the thicker the better.
I also drilled the back of the CV joint and fitted a grease nipple which then allowed me to re-grease the CV joint on a regular basis, since then this system has lasted for the last four seasons.
I am now working on a prop-shaft to see if I can find a better way of dealing with that damaged boot problem!

doujoy

Post by doujoy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:05 pm
Hi to all,

Been measuring up for a new centre prop-shaft bearing and it looks like the 40mm inside size will be the one I need for CF 250, a cost of £69.00 +carriage.

doujoy

Return to “Propellor shaft”