Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.

CF2 GM 2.3 Diesel

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:37 pm
Hi folks ,
I have a 1985 CF2 350 Coach built Motor Home with a GM 2.3 Diesel , ZF 5 speed manual and I'm not sure what the Rear Diff is . I think it's on 15" rims ?
I've looked at the Conversions posts and took particular notice of Philbuts 2.9 cologne conversion. The 2.3 Diesel in my CF2 is under powered and too noisy for modern motorway or any kind of distance use. Also the motor has an oil leak , that is by the Oil filter housing ( I've got to steam clean it off again ) and the camchain is noisy. At least I think it is the cam chain. Has anyone got any recent experience of upgrading this motor and drive train ? Any thoughts and rough costings on changing this drive train etc would be muvch appreciated :)

Thanks Kevin - B'ham
The GLASS - Pessimist it's half empty... Optimist it's half full ... Engineer it's twice the size it needs to be ...

Re: CF2 GM 2.3 Diesel

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 pm
CF2 350D standard rear axle ratio is 9/47 (5.2222:1, i.e. low gearing for pulling 3500kg). Wheels should be 14-inch.

ZF 5-speed transmission it came with probably has 1:1 5th gear and crawler 1st gear - check the ID plate on the side of the transmission.

Anything with more power than the GM diesel engine will need an 'overdrive' transmission (0.8:1 5th for the ZF, overall ratio 4.1777:1 with 9/47 axle) or it will run out of rpm.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:34 pm
Hi Phil ,
had this nasty virus going round and it's knocked me about a bit. 1st gear feels like a crawler gear and of course with 3.5 ton to pull , low gearing would make sense. I don't think in 1985 speed was a high priority for GM and the CF Van. I talked to a guy who modifies a lot of 40's and 50's Fords and he has done a recent 50's ford using the entire drivetrain, ECU , wiring etc from a Jeep Cherokee out of a breakers. The prop shaft had to be sent away for modification.
I saw on Autotrader an Xtype Jag 3.0 V6 for 800 quid so thought about this . The Jag is not moving 3.5 ton but perhaps the drivetrain would be ok in the CF . Or perhaps I'd be better looking at Range Rover stuff .....
If I was to use the Jag what should I be looking at , measuring , checking etc with a view to putting in the CF ?
The GLASS - Pessimist it's half empty... Optimist it's half full ... Engineer it's twice the size it needs to be ...

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 pm
Hi folks ,
Graham has pointed out that the 2.3 GM slant petrol fitted to the CF when mildly tuned and upgraded is quite a nice unit. Does anyone know what these are like to get hold of ? Also are parts and upgrade parts available for them ?
Many thanks and best wishes Kevin -B'ham

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 am
2279cc OHC petrol engine won't fit your ZF transmission - clutch housing is different and the transmission input shaft is too long.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by cfmania » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:12 am
GoodShipCF2 wrote:Hi folks ,
Graham has pointed out that the 2.3 GM slant petrol fitted to the CF when mildly tuned and upgraded is quite a nice unit. Does anyone know what these are like to get hold of ? Also are parts and upgrade parts available for them ?
Many thanks and best wishes Kevin -B'ham
Don't bother with the 2.3 petrol unit, they are thirsty and problematic and the Jaguar V6s are too difficult to wire in properly.

Think more Vauxhall Omega drive train to keep it in the family.

A 2.2 petrol or diesel manual for economy or the 3.2 V6 auto for some fun.

A rear axle change will be required, Mercedes Sprinter or VW LT which can be had in up to 3.1 : 1 format.

Then you would have a van for the 21st century.

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:48 am
cfmania wrote:Then you would have a van for the 21st century.
Maybe if the braking system is upgraded as well ... :)

Post by cfmania » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 am
Phil Bradshaw wrote:
cfmania wrote:Then you would have a van for the 21st century.
Maybe if the braking system is upgraded as well ... :)
True.

Post by GoodShipCF2 » Subscribing Member » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:02 am
Hi CFMania and Phil :thumb: ... thanks for Input guys. My Cancer has spread to my spine and I've been off for a while. Back on track with Hormone treatment but that's aggravated my Insomnia again ... :wall: ... Bah ! Run the old girl a few times and my teenage daughters really want me to keep her and do some trips. Lizzie appreciates her more than Victoria... Victoria just sees it as a really noisy old Van that gives her a headache on long trips !!! I really would like to do this .... circumstances permitting.

My main goal ( apart from making some improvements on the Camper side ) are - 60mph cruising speed on Motorway and Overtaking oomph and ok economy for long haul trips.

I am not bothered about keeping it in the family or Authentic Classic status as I would like to use it as much as possible and considering the Motorhome/Camper that I've got in it ... it's pretty good value when you consider what Modern tackle costs !!! Plus the old girl took me from sleeping rough ( seperated from missus and left her the house and took nothing from her ) to relative comfort and allowed me to save to get a rented house. I had been thinking about BMW Diesels ... I would think they would run more quieter than the GM 2.3 ! and surely soundproofing would kill most of the rest ?

I appreciate what you are saying about the brakes and I would need to have a good look at that too , although a lad on the Forum running a 3.5 transport tail loaded most of the time verified what Phil has said that the Drum setup on the CF done properly is quite sufficient !

Phil ... if I ever get this started is the 2.3 unit and ZF trans worth anything or should I just weigh it in ?

Can anyone help me do an Avatar ? I'd like something CF Camper if possible , funny would be great too .

Best wishes to all and hope to get to CF event this year when Sun comes out :brew:

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:46 am
If there is no convoluted plastic hose between the air intake and the round aperture in the front panel then fit a hose to cut down intake noise, by a great amount - the cavities in the front panel act as a silencer.

CF350 with a 23D engine should keep up with the trucks on Motorways at least, good enough to get about while you plan what to do.

A few cheap fixes to try -

If the exhaust is sooty then the air filter panels under the intake housing may be well past their best (maybe as black as the exhaust tailpipe ...). Check the filters anyway if you haven't done so already.

A general fettling will help (adjust valve clearances, change engine oil and filter) and a dose of Wynn's Clean Burn or similar diesel treatment with lubricity additive which can transform injection pump operation if the cam ring has gotten sticky with running in low-sulphur diesel.

Return to “Conversions and modifications”