Delco (black distributor cap) or Bosch (brown distributor cap)

Dead

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:17 pm
Put back a repaired starter motor , hooked up the cables wires etc. Turned on the ignition nothing , no lights anywhere on the dash fuse box dead as a dornail , the batteries in good Nick cleaned the earth terminal at the battery , have got the main feed to the starter motor but that's it . Nothing else works , have come in for a brew while I peruse my Haines manual.
I've obviously disturbed something while raunging unerneath the van I'm thinking earth straps. , or is there some master fuse that I've tripped/blown ?.

John

Re: Dead

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:19 pm
Things to check (most likely problem first) -

1. Battery earth strap/cable.
Engine earth strap/cable (bolted to engine near the oil filter.

Quick test: connect jump lead directly to battery negative and engine.
If fault clears then check earth strap/cable terminals attachment as well as body connection points for cleanliness and security.

2. Main feeds (brown wires) at starter solenoid battery terminal. (Number varies with production year.)
Check all brown wires are connected and also attachment of terminals to cables.

3. Bulkhead multi-pin connector next to bonnet hinge on driver side.
Wobble plug/s with thick brown wire/s in their harness bundle, or remove plug/s to check plug and also socket terminals.
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:25 pm
Hi Phil
Still no luck the only power I've got is battery to starter motor .

Where does the thick black wire out the loom fit on the starter motor ? There's only two places choose from on the starter body or the solenoid and there both joined by a a similar black wire . I've put it on the starter terminal Not the solenoid .....is that correct

John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:16 pm
If the thick black wire from the harness is battery supply (from battery or to dash harness and fuse box) then it should go to the solenoid terminal opposite the one carrying the wire to the brush gear stud at the end of the starter.

• What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:12 pm
Hi Phil
Connected the wires as shown ( the brown wires were covered in a black sleeve) the engine turned over would not fire up no instruments working in the the dash ie. fuel or temp guages working but the ignition and oil light on , so some problem with the ignition circuit , and the solenoids getting hot. :wall:

John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:29 pm
Check white wire at starter solenoid: make sure that it can't short circuit to any of the supply wires or ground.

Double check security of brown (black) wires in their terminals.

If nothing shouts at the starter then check the bulkhead multi-pin connector (plugs with thick brown wires in their harness bundle).

Can't fathom why the starter solenoid would get noticeably hot unless the starter has been used a lot in a short period of time, when hot is to be expected.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:39 pm
Hi John if it was working ok before you took the starter off (apart from the starter turning slowly) then might be something you've got wrong as Phils picture the main heavy wire from battery to starter goes on one side of the solinoid as do the thick brown wires one which goes to the alternator and the other carries the main positive to either the fuse box or the starter switch so if you've got your wiring right everything should work okay.
Dave.
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by johnnyonions » Subscribing Member » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:02 pm
Got in a mess because the live feed off the battery was Red and the vehicle loom live wire was Black shrink sheaved not as in the diagrams which THREW me , Not wanting to connect a black lead to red , So I connected it to the only black wire , So obvious to me now , Had to strip the sheaving back to reveal the brown wires DOH ! REWIGGLED the loom plugs under the bonnet and the lights came back on

All fixed now back up and running , the van is now UNDEAD :D
All ready for Halloween , all I need now is a 'killer clown outfit' to scare the living [email protected] out the little Brats knocking on my door.
:D

Thanks Phil for the Help and good advice , you must have patience of a saint.
John

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:20 pm
You're not the first to be thrown off-course by previous wiring repairs and alterations, or will be the last ... :wall:

Still, each time you figure out what should go where will be one less thing to worry about. :thumb:

Return to “Ignition System”