If you're new to Bedford CF Org then say hello here

Model A Ford with a 2.3 diesel

Post by Model A Diesel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:41 am
I am joining your group as you are the folks that have vans using the diesel I now have in my Model A Roadster....yep...Haines Publishing years ago wrote a manual for 2.3 diesel engines....once they were finished the diesels sat in their warehouse for years....knowing that I am a Opel fan they asked if I wanted them...all 3 of them...You bet I said... I don't think any Opel diesels were ever imported into the USA so these were orphans..brand new engines...2 of which had never been taken apart...not knowing what to do with them...I put one in a Model A that I have...and made a neat car out of it... I adapted the 2.3 to the Model A bellhousing and used the flywheel and clutch from the Opel and the disk from the Model A...I extended the input shaft of the transmission and everything works well....and it has for over 10 years and probably 40,000 miles...trouble free miles...I don't mind the idle rattle as the stock motor makes a bunch of noise so it sounds about normal...it gives me great fuel mileage...about 40mpg...and it's a hoot when folks fun up to me and excitedly tell me I am putting diesel in my car...and it will ruin the engine...I always tell them "Oh no, Model A's run just fine on diesel" and they believe me...
I bought a turbo from a Bedford 2.3 and once the plumbing is finished will be installing that...not sure why but it's more of one of those "why not" deals...not sure what to expect...
Both motors are normally aspirated 1978 2.3 Opel Diesels.. plenty of power and torque for a car that used to have 40hp stock...cruises easily at 65mph....What a laugh to drive...

Re: Model A Ford with a 2.3 diesel

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:55 am
Hi and welcome to the club. :thumb:
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by rich4you » Subscribing Member » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:20 am
Hi welcome to the club. :thumb:

Richard
Life's a Bitch then you Die

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 pm
Hi welcome to the club.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by bedfordcf2van Contact bedfordcf2van » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:51 am
Now that's a strange application for that engine!

:o

Return to “Introduce yourself”