If you're new to Bedford CF Org then say hello here

new to the group

Post by Ma Bets » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:44 pm
Good Afternoon All

Firstly thank you for accepting us to the group

My name is Dave, wife is Ilse, and our beloved Bedford CF350 Autovilla is called “Ma Bets” hence the log in name.

Just a little about us.
Well we live in Gauteng South Africa and purchased our beloved camper about 2 years ago, unfortunately on the way home she developed such an oil leak that she stood for almost a year as we did not have the funds to repair her.
Needless to say last year October I decided to start working on her myself, as it turned out the major oil leak was not so bad as expected, the seal on the oil filter had dried out and cracked, hence all the oil being sprayed all over the engine, did a quick service and cleaned her off a bit and she purrs like a kitten.

Took her to Vaal dam in December, wow what a driving ordeal, never over estimate a vehicles capability, she has a Ford V6 3.0 under the bonnet and I figured this would be more than adequate to tow the boat as well, was I wrong she boiled the radiator even with the electric fan on.
I suppose at a speed of 80kph @ 3000rpm towing the boat she was not happy and boiled her water.

Well on our return I hunted around and found a Ford F100 radiator, with very careful measurements and a little bit of welding she now has a much bigger water well, actually fitted very nicely even with the two electric fans and the normal engine mounted fan.

Well we took her out to Witbank dam for the long weekend just past, still battled with the speed but the temp never rose past normal operating temperature and did not even kick the electric fans on, would recommend this radiator setup any day.

- Now we are home I am going to relook the heart of “Ma Bets”-

I have purchased an ADE 364 turbo engine with matching gearbox, which is getting the full going over and rebuilding the internals, this will still take me a few months to have it done (money permitting)

This will be her new heart but I think I will have to relook her rear axle as I still think the gear ratio will be far too high.

Well once again thank you for accepting us to the group.

Happy and safe travels to all the fellow Bedford owners.

Re: new to the group

Post by RobX » Subscribing Member » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:24 pm
Greetings Dave, and welcome! :) Sounds like quite the project you have planned there - any chance you could post your progress in the blog section? I'm considering an engine swap in my CF340.

Post by VDUB384 » Club admin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:45 pm
Hi welcome to the club.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Post by Phil Bradshaw » Club admin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:37 pm
Hi and welcome to the club. :thumb:

A blog on progress would be good if you have the time: may answer some questions on what can be shovelled into a CF. :)
  • What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Post by rich4you » Subscribing Member » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:20 pm
Hi Dave, welcome to the club :thumb:

Richard
Life's a Bitch then you Die

Return to “Introduce yourself”