Kooda

I just bout a rear axle with 10" brake which are the self adjusting variety out of a CF2. Mine being a '78 250 it has the lightweight under the spring axle. The brake back plates are fixed with 4 bolts while the new axle has 6 bolts.

The flange that mounts to the leaf springs and shock mounts are different. So, the axle's not a straight swap? But is it involved?

Could the 10" back plates be simply re-drilled to suit the existing axle?

Without taking the cover off the diff casing looks the same with a big hex filler bolt.

What other surprises am I likely to encounter?

Thanks,

Finn.

Postby Kooda » Tue May 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

Short wheelbase CF2 to CF1 axle swap isn't straightforwards ...

CF1 arrangement except K,7/00 with fully floating rear hubs (twin wheel) -

Inset shows shock absorber mounting for the Bedford axle (1-inch AF Hexagon filler/level plug).

CF2 short wheelbase arrangement -

CF1 spring seats and shock absorber mountings can be ground off and stick welded to the CF2 axle if the correct alignments can be maintained.

I've never tried swapping 4-hole with 6-hole brake flange plates (back plates). As well as the bolt holes the centre bore of the flange plate may differ according to whether the CF1 hub bearing is the smaller or larger of the two used.

Axle with retainer 'A' below has the smaller hub bearing and the flange plate locates on a shoulder around the bearing along with a spacer plate between the retainer plate and flange plate; with retainer 'B' (larger bearing) the flange plate locates on the bearing which protrudes a little from the axle tube and no spacer plate is used.

What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Tue May 30, 2017 5:44 pm

Kooda

I measured the 2 axles today and while the seats for the leaf springs are different I'm not sure it can't be bolted in . They measure up to be very similar. One axle is on the floor while the other is in the van and I'm getting measurement of within a couple of mm's with a steel rule.
The shock mounts are completely different so I'll swap them to the other axle. I don't have a stick welder but I'm happy to MIG weld them on.
The bearing flange is not like either type shown but has six holes and vents to through the brake back plate.

Postby Kooda » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:13 pm

Kooda

I did this by swapping the mounts between the axles.

The 10inch brakes make quite a difference. :D

Postby Kooda » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:11 am