Bennybedford

Hi,

Is there anything special you need to think on while changing the thermostat?

I changed it today because of over-cooling, and now the engine feels very hot, does not go over 90C but some white smoke comes from the engine when standing still. A bit cold now outside but anyway, feels like it gets to hot. Like some air are in the system.

I have put the "controls" to hot, but my fan is broken but it "seeps" hot air in to the car.
I ran it 10 minutes to 90C, let it cool down and no difference in the radiator level.

Any gueses?

Postby Bennybedford » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:51 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

Vauxhall OHC engine should have a 92C thermostat for best efficiency.

When the thermostat cover is removed air may enter the heater circuit and cause an 'air lock' preventing coolant flow through the heater and sometimes related problems with cooling the engine.

If both heater hoses become hot before the radiator top hose then all is well.

If the heater outlet hose (to the alloy elbow for the radiator bottom hose) stays relatively cool then vent the heater: see this topic.

Exhaust water vapour during warm-up can seem smoky and not disperse very quickly this time of year. Check for smoke after the engine is thoroughly warmed up.

If there is smoke at idling speed which clears when driving (maybe with some extra smoke when moving off) then this may be due to valve guide wear or hardened inlet valve stem seals. If the problem persists and the engine oil is black then try changing the oil.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 am