philbut

I am fitting CF2 disk hubs to a CF1. I believe the TREs are different in terms of the angle on the ball joint shaft, but I can find ones listed specifically for CF2 with disk brakes on ebay listed with the same part number as the earlier Cf1 facelift. Are they incorrect. Firstline catalog no longer lists them.

Cheers
Phil

Postby philbut » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

Track rod end (outer ball joint) is the same for CF1, Facelift and CF2: GM number 8845298; Quinton Hazell QR1379S.

From Chassis No. CV604669 RHD, CV604608 LHD (during 1983 production year) the steering arms attached to the steering knuckle changed, from cranked at the ball joint end to almost straight (13-inch wheels on SWB models discontinued).

The steering rack outer rods changed to compensate, i.e. longer than earlier rods to ensure sufficient thread engagement in the track rod end.

Front wheel toe-in also changed: see Front Axle, Steering and Brakes in Help centre ‹ Public Library ‹ Service Data.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:33 pm

philbut

Cheers Phil

So, if I want to mate my CF2 (1987 CF2 SWB 250P) steering knuckle with my CF1 steering rack am I going to have issues with the outer road being too short? I have the CF2 rack but my van is left hand drive. I guess the other option would be to swap the rods from the CF2 rack onto my LHD rack, but if I can get away without then that would be better (read easier for lazy me :lol: )

Goh, things are never as easy as first expected!

Postby philbut » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

There's nothing to prevent fitting the early arms and steering rack to the CF2 steering knuckle and stick with early toe-in settings: the bolt spacing on the knuckles is the same. The downside is that the front tyres may scrub the outer shoulders, one of the issues on early CFs but mostly when used as, e.g., ice cream vans on rounds involving lots of tight turns.

It's not too hard though to swap the rack outer rods with their seatings and springs. Needs some accuracy in drilling out the ball nut locking dowels (mild steel) and drilling for new ones on reassembly but otherwise it's just a case of getting the pre-load right using a spring balance: rod should just start to move when a load of 1.4 to 2.3 kg (3 to 5 lb) is applied at the outer end of the rod.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 pm

philbut

Ah, good point about fitting the earlier arms to the disk knuckle. bloody bolts are siezed fast in the knuckle on my CF2 setup, but I guess a bit of heat might help. Nuts came off no bother but one bolt on each size just will not budge.

Postby philbut » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:46 pm