Flatlander

I have a CF2 250P panel van which will soon become my daily drive, cosmetically challenged, mechanically tired (& bodged) but structurally too good to walk away from.

The steering rack seems sound, but has been greased with what looks like lithium, I'm aware that it should be lubricated with EP90. I assume that grease won't circulate as well as oil so possibly accelerating wear of some components. I'm concerned about adding oil due to incompatibility with the grease & I won't have time to strip & clean it for a while. I'm wondering if removing as much grease as possible & then adding a semi fluid grease such as Castrol Spheerol may be a good compromise for now.

The rack on my camper, which is oiled needs new gaiters. When refilling would GL4 or GL5 be best?

Postby Flatlander » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:07 am

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

Lithium base grease shouldn't hurt a steering rack but it won't circulate like oil as you say.

Gear oil normally will mix with lithium grease and eventually form a slurry (e.g. in fully floating rear hubs on CF350 models).

GL4 or GL5 should be suitable; it's only baulk ring transmissions and differentials containing brass components that suffer when older spec. EP oils containing high levels of sulphur compounds are used.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:44 am

Flatlander

Thanks Phil.

In that case I'll stay with grease for now, the replacement gaiters are quite tight on the rack so keeping them in place while stretching them further to inject oil may well result in lots of mess & bad language!

Pete

Postby Flatlander » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:21 am