Robert Booysen

Good Day Members
Need some assistance or guidance, I removed my upper and lower ball joints to check, thank goodness they are ok, whilst I had all off I was moving my steering from left to right and vise versa, my steering rack sounds a bit rough, is there bearings bearings where the pinion goes into the rack. if someone can assist with some pictures with the parts going in there before I start stripping it. I have never been this excited working on this Bedford, nice project. Thanks for all the other valuable service posts, printed all them and a actually using them
Regards
Robert - South Africa

Postby Robert Booysen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

If the rack has run dry of lubricant then fresh SAE 90 gear oil may fix apparent roughness: add about 0.2 litre (1/3 pint) via the small end of a rack boot.

Pinion has upper and lower tangential thrust ball bearings -

Bearings pre-load is adjusted by shims under the pinion housing top cover.

Pinion bearing shims are always installed with a 2.34 mm (0.092 in.) thick shim at the top of the pack. Place gasket on housing face then select sufficient shims to bring top face of the 2.34 mm shim level with the gasket face when checked with a straight edge then add 0.06 mm (0.0025 in.) shim thickness for bearing pre-load by interchanging 0.12 mm (0.005 in.) and 0.06 mm (0.0025 in.) shims.

Adjust yoke shims to obtain torque to turn pinion of 1.13 to 2.26 Nm (10 to 20 lbf in) when yoke pressure spring installed -

What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Robert Booysen

Thanks Phil, the schematics and your response will definitely assist, I contacted a guy in my town, and he had changed his to power steering with no hassles and will assist me with mine. I will give feedback when he comes and on the progress. I will remove mine this weekend and see if I can sort it out in the interim.

Postby Robert Booysen » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:31 am