mortalha

As i was saying in my presentation...

Last week, after 6 months of minor problems (some cooling water leaks and starting issues fault of the filter in the tank), and (semi :) )rally trails in the wineyards of france, my van's proppelor shaft bearing practically broke, the cardan disappeared, and the rubber inside the shaft in the gear side broke also..

I guess i'll have to get a new prop shaft, so... in france, bedford vans are kinda rare, anyway i've checked and called every single announce i could find for CF wrecks and parts.. and everything i could find was :

this CF350 2.3d, which the owner told me maybe wouldn't fit the cf250..
https://www.leboncoin.fr/utilitaires/10 ... tm?ca=18_s

and this Opel Blitz ZF S4 gear box (that's what he told me) and prop shaft, which he told me it would be necessary to buy AND mount both of them, because supposedly the shaft wouldn't correspond to my original 250d gearbox ...
https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_aut ... tm?ca=18_s

the whole prop shaft of my cf measures around 1.71m.

i'll post some photos when i can, but meanhwhile i would really need some help to know how to get this done, because i won't, and virtually can't go anywhere until i get this repaired.... little and smart advices to repair this prop shaft, model equivalences with other cars, cutting and welding, even forging are welcomed as solutions for my improvised mechanical skills to put in practise.. i've got help anyways.

thanks in advance everyone :thumb:

Postby mortalha » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

CF350 propellor shaft and centre bearing are heavier construction and shaft is about 50cm longer than CF250.

CF250D Facelift (to 1984) propellor shaft should have a constant velocity plunge joint behind the centre bearing, 1 universal (Cardan) joint to front and rear and a sleeve yoke to match the transmission shaft splines (usually Opel 4-speed for European manufacture, Vauxhall 4-speed for UK manufacture).

ZF transmission for CF250 has a different shaft arrangement - 3 universal joints with a conventional splined sleeve coupling behind the centre bearing. Rear flange changes with axle type (Bedford or Salisbury, either possible on CF250).

ZF centre bearing arrangement for CF350 (left), CF250 (right) showing splined sleeve coupling -

Bedford axle has 1-inch AF hexagon oil level/filler plug. Salisbury axle has 1/2-inch square level/filler plug and also an identical drain plug.

Change from Opel or Vauxhall 4-speed to ZF 4-speed requires the Opel clutch housing for ZF, gear shift lever, floor plate and gaiter, propellor shaft and centre bearing assembly, spacer brackets bolted to the chassis to lower transmission to clear cab floor, speedometer cable. May also require clutch release bearing for ZF.

Some pictures will help. :thumb:
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:40 pm