Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
nightster

Hi I am new to the forum so maybe I should say Hello.

On Saturday I bought a Bedford CF250 Dormobile 2.3 petrol engine from a friend of mine and done a round trip of 325 mile leaving on Saturday afternoon and returning on Sunday night from Islandmagee to Dunboyne Ireland and until now love it even just to look at.

I averaged 17 mpg there and 18 mpg back mostly at a steady 70 mph.

I am considering trying to convert it to automatic transmission. Has anyone done this and if so what gearbox should I use, what is required to fit it and is there any pitfalls to consider.

I would also like to fit electric power steering, disc brakes at least on the front, cruise control and LPG conversion. I guess someone might ask why I want to do this and my only answer is I like automatics, the other mods will I think refine it a little and make it slightly more economical.

Any help with Information and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Postby nightster » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:08 am

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

For some reason the Vauxhall OHC crankshaft is different for manual and automatic transmission -

Going from automatic to manual transmission is possible by shaping a bronze bush interference fit in the crankshaft and running clearance fit on the transmission input shaft spigot to replace the needle roller bearing.

I've not tried going from manual to automatic transmission but if the torque converter spigot isn't securely located in the crankshaft then the converter may run out of alignment leading to major disaster involving fracture of the flexplate (1) and, or, converter (3).

The transmission also needs to be for a CF; car transmissions will fit but they lack the additional clutch plates and other bits to cope with the weight of a laden CF and the dipstick tube also is too short for access from under the bonnet.

Other bits needed -

Complete selector and gear shift mechanism including floor plate and console, wiring alterations for starter inhibit, reverse lamps and console illumination, oil cooler (in radiator or separate), transmission rear mounting (rubber mounting and adaptor plate), speedometer driven gear to match the rear axle ratio and propellor shaft.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:46 am

nightster

Many Thanks Phil
It appears straightforward from your description as manufacturing parts is not a problem. I was even thinking of a box from another type of vehicle Rover V8 from P5 to SD1, Ford V6 from Granada up To Scorpio or Jaguar XJ6 my thinking these would be strong enough as they handle a lot more power and are heavy cars. Manufacturing adaptor shafts or plates wouldn't be a problem. Appears getting the box from a CF and other parts required will be a problem. Maybe an engine and box from the three I mentioned would be the easiest way though I would like to have kept the engine. Just a thought. Thank You

Postby nightster » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

Cologne V6 may be the easiest for a vee engine transplant. I think philbut has done this conversion.

With any conversion what has to be carved out of the cab floor may the main consideration, e.g. losing room for the clutch pedal if the transplant engine is much wider than the engine aperture.

Clearance for the oil pan is another but cutting and shutting the oil pan and altering oil pump plumbing to suit is a way to keep engine height and front end centre of gravity low.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 pm