Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
harry79

Hi all, this is a topic I honestly know nothing about, I've recently acquired a turbo of a friend of mine it came of a 2.2 Vauxhall something or other, after looking at it, it looks fairly straightforward to fit, ie fab up the joint so the turbo can be bolted to the exhaust manifold then from from the turbo to rejoin the exhaust, that bit I can do, so my question is would this be advisable to do, the engine is a 2.3 petrol it's strong aswell, had the head done, vx/490 exhaust manifold, zf 5speed box. Thanks
Martin

Postby harry79 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:00 am

philbut

Apparently the low compression variant of the slant was popular for turbo applications in the modding scene. also for super charging.

Biggest job will be getting the fueling right. I imagine at the very lease you'll want a twin choke webber. Probably multiple carbs to be honest so new inlet manifold. carbs will need to be pressurised float bowl types to match fueling to turbo boost pressure.

Bike carbs seem to be a fairly cheap way of achieving this as they are readily available and designed for high flow, plus have the pressurised float bowls.

Then you have the gearbox and diff - will they stand up to the extra torque of a turbo engine. Pprobbaly best to go down the Jag rear axle route

...in short it is a lot more complex than just bolting a turbo in...

Postby philbut » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:21 am

harry79

Thanks for your reply, I was only thinking of running it low boost if you can do that not for any sort of massive power increase, thinking for 5th gear cruising and especially hills, I do have a 490 engine that I was thinking of putting in with balanced crank and flywheel cylinder head reworked etc maybe that might be a better option. Thanks again.

Martin.

Postby harry79 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:43 pm

philbut

4/90 engine might need a thicker head gasket as it runs higher compression than the CF lump.

The other thing you'd want to do is up the cooling capacity and fit an inter cooler or risk cooking the engine.

Postby philbut » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

4/90 as in Vauxhall OHC? If so then it may not need blowing just to have a better 5th speed cruising and hill climbing; just the larger inlet valves and a decent exhaust system can be enough even with a single 29mm Weber re-jetted for power or economy.

If you have enough bits to run the engine in pretty much standard spec. to see how it performs then a blower could be added afterwards.

As Phil (philbut) says, pay particular attention to cooling. For the cooling system of the 4/90 engine I had in two of my past CFs the heavy duty radiator with 3-row core was ample and the auxiliary electric fan rarely kicked in, usually when held up in slow moving traffic after coming off a Motorway.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:43 pm