Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
seadog

I am about to invest in a Grayston engineering leaf spring assistor kit,has any member any experience of this kit
The kit I am purchasing is the 12B02E for cf's 76 to 85 my campervan is the chassis cab with an Autosleeper body
the compatibility is quite vague as it does,nt say parabolic or multi leaf which is on my camper and mine is an 85 right on end of compatability
The grayston kit is about £100 less than other makes so as soggy back ends are common I am hoping members have some views on this kit.

Postby seadog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Kooda

These? http://www.springassisters.co.uk/12B02E%20INST.pdf

By the looks of this it's a fairly universal fit. Assuming the shackles fit around the axle I can't see a problem as it simply replaces the rubber bump stops.

The question is, does the spring rate suit your needs? Hence, your question, I guess.

I looked into air adjustable ones a while ago and had a chat with PhilBut about it and I think he has done the job.

You can buy all the various bits and bobs to make up a kit which you then adjust via a schrader valve and a foot pump, no air compressor or the like. I can't remember the cost for the bits but about £200 springs to mind.

viewtopic.php?f=144&t=2746

Postby Kooda » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:10 am

philbut

Indeed. I have airbags on the rear of my CF 230. they essentially sit in the position that your leaf spring assisters would, however as Kooda says, the pressure can be varied depending on your requirements.

They are in my opinion a better option if you can fabricate the brackets. To buy the kit however is the best part of £450 - £500, so not cheap. I was lucky and found one second hand. The air bags can be bought for around £100, then you jsut need to fabricate the fitting kit if you are handy with a welder and cutter.

Postby philbut » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:25 am

Shambolic

I found the Grayston site the other day (my rear springs are somewhat sagged), but didn't find any prices on there. Was wondering how eye wateringly wallet killing this kit is.

Postby Shambolic » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Kooda

I'm contemplating cutting the rear wheel arches down to liberate some interior space and was simply going to fit deeper bump stops. I idea was to get some that almost touched the axle at rest then slowly trim them to increase the gap to the axle until the travel was about right.

I just trawled through eBay until I found something that fitted the dimensions for about £10 each.

Postby Kooda » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:07 pm