Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
bedfordcf2van

First a bit of a backstory:
As some of you know, CF's were also built in Portugal. I believe that they stopped production around '84, when the Seta became available.
Because of that we never got the 5 speed ZF gearbox that was available on the CF2. Also, I bet that 100% of the CF's had Diesel engines.
Back in the 70's and 80's there really weren't any motorways and the roads were terrible so top speed wasn't a big issue.

Nowadays you get up to around 80km/h and the engine is really screaming. It desperately needs that 5th gear or overdrive.
From all the research I have done the best solution I have found is to use a converted Transit Type9 gearbox.
I have seen on another forum someone who has done that conversion and it envolves a bit of work but is not that complicated.

A friend who also has a CF will be the guinea pig for this conversion.
If the conversion is successfull and there is noticeable reduction in RPM's and gain in speed with the 0.82:1 ratio I will also do the conversion on mine.
I will making the CNC adapter plate and if it's successfull I will reproduce a batch of them to sell to others.

We have been searching for Type9 gearboxes and you would think they would be very comum... but they are really getting rare as well.
Some scrapyards that have them are asking too much for them so the search continues on.
He want's to take care of the mechanical upgrades before he does a full restoration. We will keep you updated with the progress.

Postby bedfordcf2van » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Stevo

I don't know if you have the 6 stud dual wheels, but if you do the Iveco Daily has 16" rims with the right PCD.
Otherwise I diff change might be easier. I just fitted a 9" ford with Bedford axles and brakes. There is a lot of 9" ratios available to you then.
Even LSD's for the times you find yourself on a wet surface.

Postby Stevo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Kooda

I have a ZF box with a .81 (I think) 5th gear and the rev reduction is noticeable on the motorway. You really need to be doing 60mph for it to work properly otherwise you are a bit low in the power band. Well, on my van anyway, which is a hightop with a my windsurfing kit on the top of that.
It makes little difference to the fuel consumption, maybe 2-3 mpg.

Type 9 boxes are a right rarity these days. They were not that strong in the first instance so plenty died in action.

I've got an MT75 from a Transit in my shed ATM (for another project) that cost me £65, have a reputation for being quite hardy and the shifter comes out in about the right place. The one in question is from a 2.0 TDi and the bell housing is huge (550mm x 500mm ish). The bell housing is integral to the front of the casing and can't be changed so, you'll need to make an adapter plate. Personally I wouldn't entertain a Type 9, but go MT75 as the process will be fairly similar.

The RX8 gearbox is quite popular for conversions these days and there a a good number of conversion plates around for various engines (check eBay and also the Turbosport forum). The shifter is in the right place for a car, but the wrong place for a van (too far back). So depending on which engine you are using will determine whether the shifter is worth faffing with in lieu of the conversion plate.

As the gearbox resides under the floor (front of bell housing poking up into engine hole) , I don't think there are too many spacial constraints. Given the amount of work in a gearbox swap it would be tempting do the engine too.

You need to consider the first gear ratio if you are considering a diff swap as 20% on the diff ratio will also be 20% on first gear, too.

Postby Kooda » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:28 pm

bedfordcf2van

Stevo wrote:I don't know if you have the 6 stud dual wheels, but if you do the Iveco Daily has 16" rims with the right PCD.
Otherwise I diff change might be easier. I just fitted a 9" ford with Bedford axles and brakes. There is a lot of 9" ratios available to you then.
Even LSD's for the times you find yourself on a wet surface.

No, I got the standard 5 lugs.

How did you fit the bedford axles to the ford 9"? Did you weld them on?
Wouldn't it be easier to just use the complete 9" and re-drill the hubs?

Postby bedfordcf2van » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:01 am

bedfordcf2van

Kooda wrote:I have a ZF box with a .81 (I think) 5th gear and the rev reduction is noticeable on the motorway. You really need to be doing 60mph for it to work properly otherwise you are a bit low in the power band. Well, on my van anyway, which is a hightop with a my windsurfing kit on the top of that.
It makes little difference to the fuel consumption, maybe 2-3 mpg.

I got the low roof/swb so it makes a bit of a difference from yours. It feels like as soon as I hit about 45mph I should be poping in 5th gear.

The other day I measured the sound dB with an APP and it was in danger to your ears levels... :o

Kooda wrote:I've got an MT75 from a Transit ... The bell housing is integral to the front of the casing and can't be changed so, you'll need to make an adapter plate. Personally I wouldn't entertain a Type 9, but go MT75 as the process will be fairly similar.

Yes the MT75 is a better box but I'm not sure how you would get an adapter to make that fit.

You would have to get the main shaft to fit, clutch clearances, the starter motor... I haven't seen it done yet.

Kooda wrote:The RX8 gearbox is quite popular for conversions these days ...

Don't know about that gearbox, but that option is off the table because RX8's are super rare over here...

Postby bedfordcf2van » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 am

Kooda

From memory the spigot bearing on the Ford 'boxes are the same as the Bedford, then just use a Ford friction plate of the appropriate diameter to get the 1" x 23 spline. Then it's sorting out the adapter plate. The 'box I have in the shed the starter motor bulge is in about the right place. Difficult to speculate much further without having the engine and 'box together.

I was going to make a plate to marry it up with Duratec V6 and that going to be reasonably straight forward especially as the input shaft was about 7mm too long, so an 8mm plate would be spot on.

When there is a will there is a way.

Postby Kooda » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:39 pm