Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
Oscarswheels

Hello everybody my name is David aka Oscarswheels. I am new to all this.. it all started with a moment of clarity or a claret fuelled moment on eBay. Well now I am the owner of a 1972 bedford morrison body ice cream van. With its have now dubbed Bella as she is a beauti and a beast.. I'm thinking of starting a small mobile bizzness. So I'm thinking of changing the engine and running gear for a 1999 transit smiley.. I have so many questions and heard that this is the place to maybe get them answered. Firstly can this be done? And secondly who can do this?. I will be waiting with great anticipation for any answers. All the best David :wall:

Postby Oscarswheels » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

Anything can be done with enough determination.

However ...

Changing from the Vauxhall OHC petrol engine to any other engine requires removal of the engine support posts from the front axle beam and construction of posts to suit the incoming engine, or change to CF2 axle beam (petrol or diesel) or earlier beam for diesel engines for symmetrical support posts.

Oil pan clearance above the axle beam and steering rack often is a problem. Best to modify the oil pan first and if the axle beam has to be modified then be aware that the strength of beam must not be compromised.

Changing from petrol to diesel requires a return pipe to the fuel tank (not fitted for petrol models until CF2).

Other changes required -

Transmission support mounting (height for cab floor clearance as well as longitudinal position).
Propellor shaft length and yoke to match the incoming transmission.
Speedometer cable.
Gear shift floor aperture and gaiter.
Clutch cable.
Radiator and fan (electric fan often best on CF1 models due to lack of room except on the front of the radiator).
Air cleaner: may have to be remote (e.g. underfloor, like the Rascal van) due to lack of room.
Cab floor and bulkhead modifications if the incoming engine is relatively wide or long.
Accelerator cable.
Choke or stop cable.
Engine wiring harness.
And so on: the devil will be in the details.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:54 pm

Oscarswheels

I guessed it would be a mission.. the van is basically a bear shell so chopping floor pans and fire wall should not be a problem. I have been thinking about getting a custom or restoration company to do it as they will have all the skills and massive equipment needed to carry out the task.. is there anyone you or the bedford community can recommend for this task.. Bella is worth the fight.. :D

Postby Oscarswheels » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:12 pm

johnnyonions

Or you could buy a donor CF and .........well It's an option

John

Postby johnnyonions » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:20 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

Worked for Margrae's little problem (Perkins 4.154 into a butchered Facelift) and Tor's restoration of his CF350 (body front end rebuild), both donors being CF350 chassis cabs oddly enough.

Long jobs both of them even using CF bits throughout ...
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:58 pm