Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

23L is the 2279cc low compression engine, i.e. CF.

I don't recognise the 12H number.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Kooda

Righto....... I've put a deposit on a VX2300 (apparently) engine. It has a engine number starting with 23H so, I think It's a good place to start. Apparently the VX2300 developed 108 - 116bhp, so I'm guessing it's more that just high compression pistons. What else can I expect? Big valves? Lumpier cam? There are no manifolds or carbs attached, so I'm presuming that's the twin carb option.

I really have no idea of condition or milage so I'm going to rebuild it.

We're their any variants of the engine that had a single larger carb, like a twin choke that I could look to for fuelling duties?

Thanks in advance,

Finn

Postby Kooda » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:21 pm

1972nail

The only difference in the engines is the HC pistions, The late VX2300 had a more efficient head design but valves and cam are the same as the CF. The extra power came from the CR, ignition timing advance curve, single Stromberg 175 CD carb and a better exhaust design.

The high compression slant 4 can be tuned quite a bit but it is very expensive now a days. First of all the head needs big valves 42 inlet and 40 exhaust are what Blydenstien fitted to his heads along with a 9.2:1 compression ratio, however for economy versions of his tuned heads he fitted standard exhaust valves and retained the standard CR. Low down torque was about the same or slightly better than the full BV heads but top end power was down slightly. raising the CR did reduce the length of the sides of the 'belt triangle' between crank, aux shaft and cam pulleys so the ignition and cam timing are affected and the belt tensioner gets marginal on adjustment.

Cam regrinds are great and the best profile for torque is the Kent VF2 and Kent can regrind one for you. Problem is that the design of the valve clearance adjustment buckets with the grub screws means that you have to either fit longer valves, skim a few thou off the cam carrier or fit modified buckets that take shims. Skimming the cam carrier was popular but the worst way of achieving the clearances....problems with the belt triangle again and the fact that the carrier is very difficult to set up perfectly square to ensure the face is skimmed evenly across the face and not at a slight slope. If done incorrectly the buckets will wear the carrier very quickly, possibly sieze and wreck the engine.

So when you have sorted the whole lot then you will probably still need an adjustable cam timing wheel.

Carbs..... The slant 4 was fittted with twin 175 CD Strombergs and these worked well, however Coburn Improvements substituted them for 1 3/4 inch or 2 inch SU's on their rally engines with very good effect. Blydenstien preferred 48 DHLA Dellortos with 41 mm chokes on full competition engines and 38mm chokes on road engines. 45 DHLA's can be used but 40 DHLA's or Webers aren't big enough for the 2300 engine. Side draught manifolds are like hen's teeth but if going the SU route then the twin Stromberg manifold can be modified. I doubt if there is sufficient room in the CF engine bay to fit Strombergs, SU's or Dellortos anyway.

Some people have modified the standard manifold to take a twin choke Weber from a Ford 2L Pinto engine, a suitable manifold and conversion adaptors used to be available but again are like hen's teeth now.

Ignition timing advance needs to be restricted to about 32 Deg max advance, standard CF is about 42 deg and 2300 Magnum and Victor is 36 degrees. The Droop Snoot Firenza, HS Chevette and the humble 1800 Magnum all have a suitable distributor, again if you can find one.

Postby 1972nail » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Kooda

It's come to my attention this afternoon that wear parts like bearings and piston rings are very difficult to come by so I think I'll go down the engine swap route. It means the van s not likely to be MOT exempt next year, but I'd rather have a workable van.

Postby Kooda » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:20 pm

1972nail

Many of the 'wear parts' are available from Magard Sport but they are generally 'race spec' rather than OEM spec so they are expensive. Your VX engine could well be OK, so I suggest stripping it down and checking it out. There are quite a few sets of bearings on ebay but very few standard sized ones.

I have fitted standard big end bearings from a Perkins Diesel engine in the past with good results. I can't remember which model at the minute but they are the same diameter but 1mm narrower, they need an additional oil spray hole drilled if you are using later conrods with 2 oil spray holes instead of one. The location tab fits perfectly so they will not move or rotate.

If you are rebuilding the Slant 4 don't forget my improved rear crank oil seal conversion... :)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3305

Postby 1972nail » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Kooda

I was thinking of getting a pinto twin choke manifold and a Vauxhall one and welding the 2 togeather to make a twin choke manifold, then fit a Cortina carb. Exhaust headers are another thing to deal with. Then I could just put in either the the Essex or Cologne V6's I already have.

Postby Kooda » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Kooda

I found this comment form Phil on another thread.....

.........It's the heads that aren't interchangeable between 1600/2000 and 1.8/2.3 engines: locating dowels are on the intake side on the 1600/2000cc (exhaust side on 1.8/2.3) and the smaller holes that side are at a wider spacing from the bolt holes than on 1.8/2.3 engines.........

I’m reading this thinking that this means that 1.8 & 2.3 heads are interchangeable. Soooo.......if I fit a 1.8 head to a 2.3 will get a higher compression ratio? Or are there other factors involved?

Thanks,

Finn.

Postby Kooda » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:47 am

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

Cylinder head for 1.8 and 2.3 are interchangeable because they're the same (and later heads with exhaust valve rotator caps will swap with earlier heads without rotator caps).

Flat top pistons will bump up the compression ratio.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:59 pm

VDUB384
Club admin

If your going down the Essex or Cologne route have a look or contact Philbut (Phil Buttler) as he has already done one and can give you some pointers, I'm not sure if it's on the forum or not.
Dave
Whilst good maintainece is the best prevention"If its not broken don't fix it."

Postby VDUB384 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:01 am

Kooda

Phil Bradshaw wrote:Cylinder head for 1.8 and 2.3 are interchangeable because they're the same (and later heads with exhaust valve rotator caps will swap with earlier heads without rotator caps).

Flat top pistons will bump up the compression ratio.

Are you saying that the cylinder head volume on 1800 & 2300 are the same? Hence no change in CR? This would mean an 1800 have a very low CR.

I've parked the V6 thing for the moment to see what comes out of these proposed MOT/Tax exemption changes next year. The MOT exemption is neither here nor there I don't like the idea of the van ending up on a Q plate due to "significant modifications" or paying vehicle tax. So I need to see how that pans out first.

Postby Kooda » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:04 pm