Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
philbut
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am
Location: Oxford
This has been in the pipe line for a while, but a severed index finger on my right hand put a stop to work over the winter, so with a view to getting the van ready for festival season, I've been working flat out over the last few months to get the old girl sorted. The 2.3 slant and ZF 5 speed box were running really nice, but I like to tinker and was after a bit more grunt for motorway work.

So, the engine and box as collected. All complete but had been sat uncovered in a yard for a few years and was cosmetically pretty shabby. When I pulled the valve covers, there was a hell of a lot of sludge in the valve gear. Cue sump and manifolds off to give everything a good clean and check the oil pump. Paint the block and then back together with new gaskets.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Postby philbut » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:20 pm


philbut
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am
Location: Oxford
All clean and done.

Image

Postby philbut » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 pm


philbut
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am
Location: Oxford
I decided to dump the AL4D box and get hold of a type 9 from a TVR 290s – with longer input shaft suited to the V6 and uprated layhaft bearings. The problem then was the selector shaft was positioned too far back – So I scoured the classified ads until I managed to get hold of a Transit Type 9 gearbox. I removed the selector shaft and internals from the transit box and fitted them to the TVR box, along with the transit top plate with selector mechanism. Still a bit unsure if reverse will select correctly, the gate on the transit selector seems to not be present…Should it be a push down stick?
Found a flywheel from a 2.8 Capri and got myself a nice new clutch kit.

Image

Image

Image

Postby philbut » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:26 pm


philbut
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am
Location: Oxford
Next I did some measurments and modified my spare CF2 crossmember to accept the V6 lump. I the rebuilt the subframe using CF2 axle stubs to give me disk brakes (master cylinder upgrade is on the list).

Image

Didn't have a spring compressor...
Image

Image

Postby philbut » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:30 pm


philbut
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am
Location: Oxford
Out with the old and in with the new...
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Postby philbut » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:35 pm


User avatar
Phil Bradshaw
Club admin
 
Posts: 3120
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Rossendale (BB4)
I like the spring compressor work-around: in the past I've used chain wrapped around a trolley jack but a strap is so much simpler. :)

Does the rear end have 10-inch brakes? Might be worth considering if it has 9-inch because the front-rear split will be much different from what it should be and may be hard to handle under heavy braking even with the delay valve in the front system hydraulics.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:13 am


philbut
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am
Location: Oxford
That one is on the to do list Phil. I have the multi leaf springs and axle from a cf2 250 that will be going in once I have sorted the engine. Will also do a write up of that to help others. So far I think it should be an easy swap other than trimming the width of th front mount bushes down slightly.

Postby philbut » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 pm


philbut
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am
Location: Oxford
UPDATE - Finally found time to finish dropping the chassis back down onto the subframe, and .... it all fits! Too dark to take photos now but I'll get some tomorrow. The exhaust head shield on the near side clears the floor by a few mm, but I think I can gain a bit more room when I set the angle with the gearbox cross member. think I can use some of the existing gearbox cross member mounting holes and weld on an extra plate to accept a Ford gearbox rubber.

Also glad that it looks like the gearbox will angle in such a way that I don't need to chop the back of the subframe to clear the sump - I was a little worried about this, but wanted to offer it up first - really pleased as it looks much beter without having to chop the subframe about at all (engine mounts aside).

Postby philbut » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:51 pm


philbut
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am
Location: Oxford
Got a load more stuff done over the weekend. The custom propshaft from Morris Bayley (Propshaft services near Heathrow) turned up and is now fitted. I was relieved to find out my measurements were spot on! Front end to the slider is stock Granada. Rear flange is Bedford CF - custom tube welded between the two.

All new front brake lines are also plumbed in, together with CF2 servo and brake delay valve for the disk brakes. Fashioned up a custom bracket for the MAF meters and twin K&N filters.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Postby philbut » Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 am


philbut
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am
Location: Oxford
The eagle eyed amongst you will have spotted a CF2 loom in the engine bay. I've swapped the entire loom for CF2, including the dash. I prefer the switch gear and flasher units on the later loom, plus the engine bay is tidier. The eventual plan is to construct a leatherette covered cowl for the console to hide the extra gap left by the CF2 console (CF1 not having any extra dashboard of course)

Image

Postby philbut » Wed May 20, 2015 11:48 am