Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
philbut

Spot on - worst corrosion being near the filler neck. No holes though.

Postby philbut » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:52 am

philbut

Thought I'd do a quick update on this thread for anyone else who might want to do a similar conversion. The van has been running all summer now and has been 100% reliable after I sorted out the fuel problems....

So, I cleaned up and repaired my CF2 tank. this, aside from being very good internally had 2 key differences to the CF1 tank it replaced

1) return line which is required for the FI setup (also featured on the CF2 weber carb hence why the tank has one)
2) larger diameter fuel pickup

I found in the end that the main issue with my CF1 tank was it provided too much resistance to the lift pump, hence a very poor flow of fuel reached the swirl pot. This meant that the high pressure pump was not getting a constant supply of fuel and so she kept cutting out.

So, my fuel system now consists of:
CF2 tank
8mm stainless braided fuel lines feeding a facet gold top low pressure pump
In line Malpassi filter king regulator/filter
Custom made aluminium swirl pot inside front wing
Bosch high pressure fuel pump
stainless solid fuel lines to fuel rail

Swirl pot - top hose is a tank return red is feed from tank, blue return from fuel inection rail, and lower is 15mm feed to pump

All stainless fuel lines

Postby philbut » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:48 pm

philbut

I'm still tinkering with the set up a little bit. My main issue is an annoying missfire on over run which I think is down to the fact the ECU isn't connected the the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and so doesn't advance the timing on overrun (it thinks the engine is just at idle).

It is returning just over 21mpg on a run, but goes like a rocket, as you might expect with 150bhp 8-)

I hope to improve the mpg a bit with a bit more advance, now I have cured the pinging, which turned out to be a clogged PCV letting too much air in from the crank case.

I have a Cresta crown and pinion that I might fit in the future too to bring the revs down on the motorway. 5th in the type 9 is a 0.82 ratio, so the revs are similar to that of a CF with the 5 speed ZF box. not too bad but there is plenty of torque for a lower ratio rear axle.

Postby philbut » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:54 pm

harry79

Hi Phil, I've just been looking through your thread about your conversion, as I told you before I'm doing the same at the moment, my question is on the crossmember you welded new mounts on there, I don't suppose you can remember the size would save alot of messing around for me, ps I've got discs now.

Postby harry79 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:47 pm