Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
Scotty2

As you may have seen from the "introduce yourself" I am now the owner of two CF2 4x4's. Identity of 350P on the wing. Both ex NI Electricity Board.

One is very solid with little remedial welding required, the other untouched and a tad frilly. Unfortunately neither are now 4x4 and I don't have the transfer box e.t.c. They have the 2.0 Opel engine.

I would like to get at least one back to proper 4x4 status so am on the lookout for all things 4x4 such as gearbox and transfer box e.t.c. The front axle still has the diff but no propshaft.

I contacted the Jensen FF club to see if the gearboxes were the same but they couldn't tell me. What else were they fitted to?

Fergusson were take over I see by "Riccardo" so I might give a call to them. I see from searching that they can repair boxes but don't have any.

What have you hidden away out there?

Postby Scotty2 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Scotty2

Well I now have my hands on a CF2 4x4 transfer box. It did not come with a gearbox so I hope that it will fit on the back of my existing 4 speed.
Are there any parts manuals or supplements that can show me how it all fits together?

From looking at some pics of gearboxes, it might just be a bolt on job? Anyone know? How do I check if the "Dow" fluid level is correct or is there at all?
Tried and failed to upload picturs so started a thread on Pistonheads to see if I can get some info.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... &t=1659373

Postby Scotty2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:13 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

Transmission rear housing looks to me like the back end for the GM 3-speed automatic transmission.

Mounting flange about the right shape, parking pawl to the side, room for the governor inside and maybe a damaged speedo drive gear (which should be removed before the rear housing is withdrawn).
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Scotty2

Confirmed as from an auto. Speedo drive is actually OK just a trick of the light/ flash.

Now can it be fitted to a manual? Some images I have seen look like I could unbolt the output casing and it has a similar pattern to my one?

Postby Scotty2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

I've never come across any information for 4WD variants in service or parts literature so can't say what's needed to mate a ZF transmission with the transfer box.

My guess is that an extension shaft of some sort will be needed as well as provision for setting positions of the transmission rear main bearing and countershaft rear bearing, possibly by the extension housing front face being machined as for the standard transmission rear housing.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:04 pm

bertiebedfordagain

I had a ex ambulance that was 4 wheel drive ..it got scraped but i kept the transfer box .It was bolted to a 4 speed zf box which the housing of the gearbox actually went over the drive plate .I think i still have the transfer box i think it was a fergerson .I remember adrian bailey got the front hubs off it but that was about 10 years ago i think.If i can help in any way please just ask cheers :D

Postby bertiebedfordagain » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Advantura

Does that mean you've got a 2lt c i h opal engine for sale? & if so is it complete with manifolds?

Postby Advantura » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:07 am