Where to find help when you want to change major units on your CF - engine, transmission, brakes etc. - or upgrade earlier models to later specifications.
GoodShipCF2

Hi folks ,
I have a 1985 CF2 350 Coach built Motor Home with a GM 2.3 Diesel , ZF 5 speed manual and I'm not sure what the Rear Diff is . I think it's on 15" rims ?
I've looked at the Conversions posts and took particular notice of Philbuts 2.9 cologne conversion. The 2.3 Diesel in my CF2 is under powered and too noisy for modern motorway or any kind of distance use. Also the motor has an oil leak , that is by the Oil filter housing ( I've got to steam clean it off again ) and the camchain is noisy. At least I think it is the cam chain. Has anyone got any recent experience of upgrading this motor and drive train ? Any thoughts and rough costings on changing this drive train etc would be muvch appreciated :)

Thanks Kevin - B'ham
The GLASS - Pessimist it's half empty... Optimist it's half full ... Engineer it's twice the size it needs to be ...

Postby GoodShipCF2 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

CF2 350D standard rear axle ratio is 9/47 (5.2222:1, i.e. low gearing for pulling 3500kg). Wheels should be 14-inch.

ZF 5-speed transmission it came with probably has 1:1 5th gear and crawler 1st gear - check the ID plate on the side of the transmission.

Anything with more power than the GM diesel engine will need an 'overdrive' transmission (0.8:1 5th for the ZF, overall ratio 4.1777:1 with 9/47 axle) or it will run out of rpm.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 pm

GoodShipCF2

Hi Phil ,
had this nasty virus going round and it's knocked me about a bit. 1st gear feels like a crawler gear and of course with 3.5 ton to pull , low gearing would make sense. I don't think in 1985 speed was a high priority for GM and the CF Van. I talked to a guy who modifies a lot of 40's and 50's Fords and he has done a recent 50's ford using the entire drivetrain, ECU , wiring etc from a Jeep Cherokee out of a breakers. The prop shaft had to be sent away for modification.
I saw on Autotrader an Xtype Jag 3.0 V6 for 800 quid so thought about this . The Jag is not moving 3.5 ton but perhaps the drivetrain would be ok in the CF . Or perhaps I'd be better looking at Range Rover stuff .....
If I was to use the Jag what should I be looking at , measuring , checking etc with a view to putting in the CF ?
The GLASS - Pessimist it's half empty... Optimist it's half full ... Engineer it's twice the size it needs to be ...

Postby GoodShipCF2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:34 pm

GoodShipCF2

Hi folks ,
Graham has pointed out that the 2.3 GM slant petrol fitted to the CF when mildly tuned and upgraded is quite a nice unit. Does anyone know what these are like to get hold of ? Also are parts and upgrade parts available for them ?
Many thanks and best wishes Kevin -B'ham

Postby GoodShipCF2 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

2279cc OHC petrol engine won't fit your ZF transmission - clutch housing is different and the transmission input shaft is too long.
    What is real is not the external form but the idea, the essence of things. Constantin Brâncuși

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 am

cfmania

GoodShipCF2 wrote:Hi folks ,
Graham has pointed out that the 2.3 GM slant petrol fitted to the CF when mildly tuned and upgraded is quite a nice unit. Does anyone know what these are like to get hold of ? Also are parts and upgrade parts available for them ?
Many thanks and best wishes Kevin -B'ham

Don't bother with the 2.3 petrol unit, they are thirsty and problematic and the Jaguar V6s are too difficult to wire in properly.

Think more Vauxhall Omega drive train to keep it in the family.

A 2.2 petrol or diesel manual for economy or the 3.2 V6 auto for some fun.

A rear axle change will be required, Mercedes Sprinter or VW LT which can be had in up to 3.1 : 1 format.

Then you would have a van for the 21st century.

Postby cfmania » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:12 am

Phil Bradshaw
Club admin

cfmania wrote:Then you would have a van for the 21st century.

Maybe if the braking system is upgraded as well ... :)

Postby Phil Bradshaw » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:48 am

cfmania

Phil Bradshaw wrote:
cfmania wrote:Then you would have a van for the 21st century.

Maybe if the braking system is upgraded as well ... :)

True.

Postby cfmania » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 am